Spinners Salvage Series with 6-2 Victory over Renegades
LOWELL, MA - After falling victim to the doubleheader sweep on Monday night, the Lowell Spinners, proud affiliate of the 2018 World Champion Boston Red Sox, scored six unanswered runs and got back to their winning ways on Monday night - defeating the Hudson Valley Renegades, affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays, by a final of 6-2.
With the victory, the Spinners (32-25) increased their first-place lead to 5.5 games with the loss by the Connecticut Tigers and saw their magic number fall to 15 games.
The Renegades (34-22) got on the board first in the very first frame when Garrett Hiott grounded out to second base, scoring K.V. Edwards from third base.
After neither team was able to break onto the scoreboard for four innings, Lowell got on the board next courtesy of a two-run double by Cameron Cannon who drove Gilberto Jimenez and Luke Bandy from second and third, respectively, giving the Spinners a 2-1 lead.
In the next frame, Edwards got the next word in with a solo shot to deep left-center field - tying the score at two runs apiece.
In the bottom of the sixth, Jaxx Groshans got the next laugh on the Renegades launching his third professional home run off the left field scoreboard, giving Lowell a 4-2 lead. In the bottom of the eighth inning, the Spinners put the final nail's on the Renegades coffin when Stephen Scott scored an infield single to shortstop by Bandy.
Nick Northcut scored the sixth (and final) run on an infield single by Jimenez, who increased his hit streak to seven games on Monday night.
Chris Murphy took to the mound for Lowell and tossed four innings, allowing one run (unearned), on two hits while striking out five. Cody Scroggins followed with an inning of shutout baseball, but Miguel Suero finished the night off with four innings of work allowing one run (earned) on five hits with five strikeouts.
Lowell looks to pick up a series split with Hudson Valley on Tuesday night in the final game of the series - first pitch is at 7:05 p.m.
The Lowell Spinners, proud affiliate of the 2018 World Champion Boston Red Sox, offer Season Ticket Packages, Mini-Plans, Group Sales, and Single Game Tickets.
For more information, please visit: http://www.milb.com/lowell or call (978) 805-5124 for more information.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Warner's Blast Leads to Spikes' 4-2 Win over Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Brewer Hits First Pro Homer as 'Cats Defeat Tigers 7-5 - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Even Series in 4-2 Decision - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Hudson Valley Relievers Surrender Six Runs in Loss - Hudson Valley Renegades
- ValleyCats Early Runs Stump Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Spinners Salvage Series with 6-2 Victory over Renegades - Lowell Spinners
- Aberdeen No-Hits Vermont In 7-0 Victory - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Bryant & the Brooklyn Boys Win 4-1 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Over $11,000 Donated to ACES North America - Williamsport Crosscutters
- O'Hoppe and Stott Earn Organizational Honors for the Month of July - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Bats, Pitching Carry Doubledays over West Virginia - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.