Brewer Hits First Pro Homer as 'Cats Defeat Tigers 7-5
NORWICH, CT - ValleyCats outfielder and Houston Astros' third round pick in the 2019 MLB Draft, Jordan Brewer smashed his first professional home run on Monday to cap a three homer night for the 'Cats, as they defeated Connecticut 7-5 at Dodd Stadium.
The 'Cats scored all seven of their runs in the first three frames, beginning with a two run double by C.J. Stubbs in the first. In the second inning, Matthew Barefoot scored on a sac fly by Luis Santana, which was followed by a two-run homer by AJ Lee and solo shot from Nate Perry. Brewer's dinger in the third capped off the scoring for the 'Cats.
AJ Lee finished the night 3-for-4 at the dish, while Nate Perry and Jordan Brewer each collected multi-hit games.
ValleyCats starter Hunter Brown was excellent in his ninth appearance for the 'Cats, throwing two hitless innings while striking out four. Derek West and Peyton Battenfield (W, 2-1) combined to strike out 10 Tigers in the next six innings, allowing five runs along the way.
Peyton Plumlee threw a perfect ninth inning to kill any chances of a Connecticut comeback, earning his first save of the year, and sealing the 'Cats 7-5 victory over the Tigers.
The ValleyCats (24-32) and Tigers (26-30) will go at it one final time this season, as the 'Cats look to sweep Connecticut in the series finale on Tuesday.
Tri-City then heads home to begin a three game set with the Aberdeen IronBirds at Joseph L. Bruno Stadium on Wednesday thru Friday. They will likely face IronBirds catcher Adley Rutschman, the number one overall pick in the 2019 MLB Draft by the Baltimore Orioles. Full promotional details and tickets can be found at tcvalleycats.com.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Warner's Blast Leads to Spikes' 4-2 Win over Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Brewer Hits First Pro Homer as 'Cats Defeat Tigers 7-5 - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Even Series in 4-2 Decision - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Hudson Valley Relievers Surrender Six Runs in Loss - Hudson Valley Renegades
- ValleyCats Early Runs Stump Tigers - Norwich Sea Unicorns
- Spinners Salvage Series with 6-2 Victory over Renegades - Lowell Spinners
- Aberdeen No-Hits Vermont In 7-0 Victory - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Bryant & the Brooklyn Boys Win 4-1 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Over $11,000 Donated to ACES North America - Williamsport Crosscutters
- O'Hoppe and Stott Earn Organizational Honors for the Month of July - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Bats, Pitching Carry Doubledays over West Virginia - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tri-City ValleyCats Stories
- ValleyCats Job Fair Set for March 14th
- Coach the Coach Clinic Set for March 16th
- ValleyCats Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
- ValleyCats to Play as "Los Puentes de Tri-City" in 2020 as Part of Copa de la Diversion
- Four Youth Ballfields Will be Renovated in April as Part of Milestone Year