ValleyCats Early Runs Stump Tigers
Norwich, CT - Eliezer Alfonzo went 2-for-4 with 2 RBI and a runs scored, but the Connecticut Tigers (26-30) fell 7-5 to the Tri-City ValleyCats (24-32). Alfonzo now leads the team with 18 RBI on the season.
Tri-City got on the board early in the contest. The ValleyCats picked up two runs in the first inning on a two-RBI double by C.J. Stubbs off of Austin Bergner (Loss, 0-1) to make it 2-0. They added to their lead in the second with four runs on four hits including back-to-back home runs by A.J. Lee and Nate Perry.
Jordan Brewer added a solo home run in the third to make it 7-0. This was Brewer's first home run of his pro career.
The Tigers got on the board for the first time in the contest in the fifth inning. Alfonzo doubled home a run to cut into the lead. Jordan Verdon doubled home Alfonzo later in the inning to make it 7-2. Kingston Liniak brought home the final run of the frame with an RBI single on the right side of the infield.
Austin Anderson and Andrew Magno combined for four scoreless innings for Connecticut. Anderson went three innings with no hits, one walk and four strikeouts. Magno pitched one inning with one hit and two strikeouts.
The Tigers inched closer in the bottom of the eighth. Kona Quiggle singled to score Nick Quintana in the frame. Alfonzo followed with an RBI single of his own to make it 7-5. Quiggle now extends his hit streak to five-straight games for the Tigers.
Peyton Plumlee (Save, 1) set the Tigers down in order in the ninth. Plumlee got his first professional save going one inning with no runs, no walks and one strikeout.
The Connecticut Tigers will be back in action tomorrow against the Tri-City ValleyCats. You can catch all the action on the Norwich Courtyard by Marriott Connecticut Tigers Radio Network on 1310 WICH. Elijah Gonzalez will have the call. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
The Connecticut Tigers are the New York-Penn League affiliate of the Detroit Tigers at Dodd Stadium in Norwich, Connecticut. 2019 individual game tickets, season memberships for "The Club", mini plans, and team merchandise are on sale now! The front office and box office are open daily from 9 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday and can be accessed in person, online at www.cttigers.com, or by calling (860) 887-7962.
• Discuss this story on the New York-Penn League message board...
New York-Penn League Stories from August 12, 2019
- Warner's Blast Leads to Spikes' 4-2 Win over Crosscutters - State College Spikes
- Brewer Hits First Pro Homer as 'Cats Defeat Tigers 7-5 - Tri-City ValleyCats
- Spikes Even Series in 4-2 Decision - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Hudson Valley Relievers Surrender Six Runs in Loss - Hudson Valley Renegades
- ValleyCats Early Runs Stump Tigers - Connecticut Tigers
- Spinners Salvage Series with 6-2 Victory over Renegades - Lowell Spinners
- Aberdeen No-Hits Vermont In 7-0 Victory - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Bryant & the Brooklyn Boys Win 4-1 - Brooklyn Cyclones
- Over $11,000 Donated to ACES North America - Williamsport Crosscutters
- O'Hoppe and Stott Earn Organizational Honors for the Month of July - Williamsport Crosscutters
- Bats, Pitching Carry Doubledays over West Virginia - Auburn Doubledays
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.