Sparks Strong as Heat Fall to Moose
WINNIPEG, MB - Netminder Garret Sparks made a Stockton Heat (10-16-1-0) season-best 43 saves on 46 shots faced and turned aside a penalty shot, but the offense was stifled en route to a 3-0 loss against the Manitoba Moose (13-11-2-0) Saturday at the Bell MTS Iceplex.
Sparks set the tone for the game with 16 saves on 17 shots in the opening frame, helping Stockton kill three penalties to remain within striking distance through 20 minutes.
The lead then grew in the second late in the period as the first 12 shots from the home team were turned away before Dominic Toninato's insurance marker with just 1:33 to go before the intermission.
Toninato then potted his second of the afternoon less than seven minutes into the final period, giving the Moose the decisive 3-0 cushion.
Manitoba netminder Eric Comrie made 13 saves in the shutout and rookie forward Cole Perfetti finished the game with three points, a goal and two assists.
- Garret Sparks made 43 saves on a season-high 46 shots faced in the game.
- Sparks stopped Jeff Malott on a penalty shot in the third period, the first penalty shot in a Heat game this season.
- Stockton and Manitoba have now each won three games through six meetings on the year.
- Alex Gallant skated in his 199th AHL game.
- It was the second time this season that Stockton was held without a score.
STK PP - 0-2
STK PK - 4-4
First - Eric Comrie (13 saves)
Second - Dominic Toninato (2 goals)
Third - Cole Perfetti (1 goal, 2 assists)
W - Eric Comrie (13 saves on 13 shots faced)
L - Garret Sparks (43 saves on 46 shots faced)
The Heat and Moose have another noon MT, 11 a.m. PT puck drop on Monday at the Bell MTS Iceplex, the third game of five in the series.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 24, 2021
- Penguins Lose Tight Race in Hershey, 3-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Power Play Leads Gulls over Henderson, 4-1 - San Diego Gulls
- Felix Sandström's Amazing 37-Save Effort Leads 3-2 Win - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Villalta, Reign Blank Bakersfield - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Comeback Falls Short in Syracuse - Rochester Americans
- Silver Knights Defeated 4-1 by San Diego Gulls - Henderson Silver Knights
- Crunch Edge Amerks, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Third Period Push Sends Rockford Past Iowa 5-3 - Iowa Wild
- Aarne Talvitie Scores First Pro Goal in 3-2 Loss - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Claim Exciting 5-4 Overtime Win against Wolves - Cleveland Monsters
- Comrie Shuts out Stockton, Moose Win 3-0 - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Earn Point in Wild Affair - Chicago Wolves
- Sparks Strong as Heat Fall to Moose - Stockton Heat
- Suddenly Hot Sound Tigers Rally for 4-3 Win over Hartford - Bridgeport Islanders
- Fucale, Alexeyev Guide Hershey to Sixth Straight Win - Hershey Bears
- Third Period Rally Costs Pack against Bridgeport - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Condors Look to Extend Home Unbeaten Streak at 5 p.m. - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Rocket, April 24th - Belleville Senators
- Heat Look to Even Series with Manitoba - Stockton Heat
- Sound Tigers Head to Hartford this Afternoon - Bridgeport Islanders
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 1 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- "El Lazo de Tucson" Earn Back-and-forth Win over Colorado - Tucson Roadrunners
- Colorado Falls Short in Tucson, 3-2 - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.