Southpaw holds Portland to one run over seven innings
TACOMA, Wash. - Ryan Feierabend tossed seven strong innings and Justin Smoak hit a go-ahead double as the Tacoma Rainiers ended the Portland Beavers' six-game winning streak with a 3-1 victory at Cheney Stadium Friday night.
Feierabend (4-6) allowed one run - on a sacrifice fly - and five hits while striking out two and walking two. Former Beaver Scott Patterson struck out four batters over two perfect innings to notch his fifth save.
After Portland (54-80) tied it in the top of the fifth on Chris Stewart's sac fly, Smoak, who also walked twice, untied it in the bottom of the inning with a double down the left field line off Cesar Ramos (5-7), who gave up all three runs on six hits and four walks. He struck out five.
Matt Mangini and Tug Hulett had two hits apiece for the Rainiers (69-64), who snapped a four-game losing streak.
Josh Barfield had two hits for the Beavers, who mustered only seven base runners after scoring 17 runs on 21 hits the night before.
Mangini roped an RBI double to center in the third as the Rainiers grabbed a 1-0 lead.
The Beavers started the top of the fifth with singles by Barfield and Jody Gerut, but settled for just one run after Nick Green's sacrifice bunt and Stewart's sacrifice fly.
Dustin Ackley started the Rainiers' two-run rally with a one-out walk in the bottom of the fifth. Mangini hit an infield single before Smoak ripped his double past a diving Barfield at third. Winfree's successive sacrifice fly gave Tacoma its two-run cushion.
The Beavers and Rainiers continue the five-game series Saturday night at 7 p.m. (Pacific).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 27, 2010
- Southpaw holds Portland to one run over seven innings - Portland Beavers
- Bees Down Sky Sox, 9-4 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Redbirds hammer Round Rock - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express Blanked Again At Memphis 9-0 - Round Rock Express
- Z's pound Sounds - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- New Orleans Powers Past Sounds, 10-4 - Nashville Sounds
- New Orleans Snaps Sounds' Win Streak At Four With 10-3 Victory - Nashville Sounds
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks Upcoming Promotions - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Iowa's Schlosser Wins Sports Turf Manager of the Year - PCL
- Iowa's Schlosser Named Sports Turf Manager of the Year - Iowa Cubs
- Fan Appreciation Week Set for Final Aces Homestand - Reno Aces
- Aldridge Activated, Bailey Reassigned to Cedar Rapids - Salt Lake Bees
- Rainiers Outblasted by Beavers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Hunter Drives in Eight as Beavers Outslug Rainiers, 17-12 - Portland Beavers
- Aces Clinch 2010 Silver State Diamond Challenge - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss