South Bay Breaks Through in Final Minutes to Beat Drive
GRAND RAPIDS, MI- The South Bay Lakers saw three players record double-doubles as they beat the Grand Rapids Drive, 106-98, on Wednesday night. Scott Machado nearly grabbed a triple-double for the Lakers (19-27) with 13 points, 13 assists and seven rebounds. Kalin Lucas paced the Drive (24-21) with a game-high 30 points.
Travis Wear powered the Lakers to an early four-point lead after one, 34-30, behind 11 points in the first quarter. Lucas scored 11 early points to pace the Drive. Justin Harper handled the scoring load in the second quarter with 11 points in the frame, to give the Lakers a 61-55 halftime lead.
South Bay continued to add on to their lead in the third quarter, as they entered the final period with an 88-77 lead. Spencer Hawes led the Lakers with nine points in the third. The Drive rallied back to take a one-point lead and kept it close throughout the final period, but South Bay finished out the win behind seven fourth-quarter points from Jemerrio Jones.
Lucas led Grand Rapids with 30 points, as Marcus Thornton finished the night with 18 points and nine rebounds. Isaiah Whitehead scored 13 points off the bench and Todd Withers also scored in double figures with 10 points for the Drive.
Machado's 13th double-double of the season paced the Lakers, as Jones recorded his 12th of the season (14 points, 15 rebounds) and Hawes tallied his first (17 points, 11 rebounds) for South Bay. Wear scored a team-high 19 points, while Harper (13 points), Robert Heyer (12 points) and Marcus Allen (11 points) all scored in double figures.
South Bay returns home to face the Austin Spurs on Saturday, March 16 at 5:00pm PT from the UCLA Health Training Center.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 13, 2019
- Windy City Bulls Win Overtime Thriller, Beat Maine 130-127 - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Take Down Spurs in Come-From-Behind Victory - Iowa Wolves
- Bohannon's Triple-Double Not Enough in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Long Island Defeats Erie for 10th Win in a Row - Long Island Nets
- Drive's Streak Snapped at Five - Grand Rapids Drive
- South Bay Breaks Through in Final Minutes to Beat Drive - South Bay Lakers
- Phoenix Suns Recall Elie Okobo from NAZ - Northern Arizona Suns
- Atlanta Hawks Sign BJ Johnson to Second 10-Day Contract - Lakeland Magic
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Delgado and Fourth Quarter Eat up Suns in Loss to Clippers - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hornsby Lights up Sold-Out Comerica Center - Texas Legends
- Stars Begin Road Trip with Win over Vipers - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.