Delgado and Fourth Quarter Eat up Suns in Loss to Clippers
PRESCOTT VALLEY, Ariz. - It was a thrilling contest for the first three quarters before someone put a lid on the basket.
The Northern Arizona Suns couldn't get one to drop in the fourth quarter and couldn't contain Angel Delgado long enough in their 120-107 loss to the Agua Caliente Clippers on Tuesday night at the Findlay Toyota Center.
Delgado recorded 40 points on 18-of-23 shooting, 20 rebounds and four assists. His 40 points marked a new career-high, and he achieved the third 40-20 game in the NBA G League this season. He nearly tallied a double-double in the fourth quarter alone, finishing with 10 points (5-5 FG) and nine rebounds, where ACC won the frame 29-18.
Both teams shot extremely well through the first three quarters in a great back-and-forth contest. The game was tied at 35 after the first quarter with NAZ shooting 14-of-24 (.583) and ACC at 14-of-25 (.560). The Clippers took a 70-64 lead into the locker room after shooting 12-of-19 (.632) in the second quarter. The Suns rebounded in the third, making it a 91-89 deficit entering the final frame. Through three quarters, NAZ shot 35-of-72 (.486) and had just eight turnovers.
In the fourth, the Suns made 4-of-19 (.211) from the floor and finished 0-of-8 from distance. What had been a single-digit game the entire way turned into a 16-point deficit for the home team with 1:48 remaining.
The Suns finished at a 39-of-91 (.429) clip compared to the Clippers' 45-of-85 (.529) mark. There were just 11 three-point makes combined between the two teams, as both looked to score inside. The Suns scored a season-high 68 points in the paint, where the Clippers had 64 points.
Retin Obasohan followed his triple-double with his first career 30+ point game. He recorded 30 points on 11-of-16 shooting (8-of-8 from the free throw line), five rebounds and five assists. Elie Okobo tallied 19 points on 7-of-14 shooting, five rebounds, five assists and two steals. Hollis Thompson had 19 points and four rebounds, followed up by George King and his 17 points, five rebounds and three assists.
Agua Caliente's Johnathan Motley and Jerome Robinson followed Delgado with great games themselves. Robinson had 24 points (9-16 FG) and six boards. Motley had 24 points (9-17 FG) and four boards.
The Suns dropped to 11-35 with the loss, while the Clippers improved to 24-21, remaining a half-game back of the sixth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference. The Suns will begin a back-to-back set on Friday against the Greensboro Swarm at 7 p.m. PT at the Findlay Toyota Center. The Clippers head to Texas for a back-to-back against the Legends, starting Friday at 5:30 p.m. PT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 13, 2019
- Windy City Bulls Win Overtime Thriller, Beat Maine 130-127 - Windy City Bulls
- Wolves Take Down Spurs in Come-From-Behind Victory - Iowa Wolves
- Bohannon's Triple-Double Not Enough in OT - Maine Red Claws
- Long Island Defeats Erie for 10th Win in a Row - Long Island Nets
- Drive's Streak Snapped at Five - Grand Rapids Drive
- South Bay Breaks Through in Final Minutes to Beat Drive - South Bay Lakers
- Phoenix Suns Recall Elie Okobo from NAZ - Northern Arizona Suns
- Atlanta Hawks Sign BJ Johnson to Second 10-Day Contract - Lakeland Magic
- San Antonio Assigns Chimezie Metu to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Delgado and Fourth Quarter Eat up Suns in Loss to Clippers - Northern Arizona Suns
- Hornsby Lights up Sold-Out Comerica Center - Texas Legends
- Stars Begin Road Trip with Win over Vipers - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northern Arizona Suns Stories
- NAZ Suns to Host Preseason Game against South Bay
- NAZ Suns Name Jordan Byrd, Tom Kuyper Team Broadcasters for 2019-20 Season
- NAZ Suns Roll out 2019-20 Promotional Schedule
- Jeff Feld Named Northern Arizona Suns General Manager
- NAZ Suns 2019-20 Single-Game Tickets on Sale