Sourdif, Sim Lead the Giants to a 4-0 Shutout Victory over Victoria
Vancouver Giants defenceman Alex Kannok Leipert with the puck against the Victoria Royals
(Vancouver Giants, Credit: Allen Douglas)
Kamloops, B.C. - Thursday night at the Sandman Centre in Kamloops, the Vancouver Giants (6-3) were 4-0 winners over the Victoria Royals (1-7-1-0). Justin Sourdif, Tristen Nielsen and Alex Kannok Leipert all registered a goal and an assist each while Drew Sim turned aside all 16 shots he faced to secure his first career WHL shutout. Evan Evanoff and Connor Martin combined for 36 saves in the Victoria net. It marked the third victory in as many tries for the Giants over the Victoria Royals.
Shots: 9-6 Vancouver
VAN - 43 seconds into the second period, Justin Sourdif slid past the defense, took a feed from Tristen Nielsen and scored a beautiful forehand, backhand breakaway goal to stake his team to a 1-0 lead.
VAN - Giants captain Alex Kannok Leipert extended the Vancouver lead on a power play at 17:09. Kannok Leipert wired a shot past Adam Evanoff from the right wing circle. Justin Sourdif and goaltender Drew Sim earned the helpers. The goal came at 17:09.
VAN - 57 seconds later defenceman Mazden Leslie extended the Giants lead to 3-0 when he took the puck wide, slipped by the Royals defender and tucked a low sow past Adam Evanoff and home for his fifth of the season. Bryce Bader and Tanner Brown both assisted.
*Victoria goaltender Adam Evanoff was pulled at 18:06 of the second period.
Shots: 14-5 Vancouver
VAN - The game's final goal came courtesy of Tristen Nielsen on a power play at 7:14 of the final period. Nielsen one-timed home a feed from Zack Ostapchuk inside the right-wing circle to secure his team-leading eighth goal of the season. Alex Kannok Leipert earned the second assist on the goal which resulted in a Gordie Howe hat-trick.
Final Score: Vancouver 4 - Victoria 0
Final Shots: 40-16 Vancouver
Drew Sim (2-1) - 16/16 saves for Vancouver
Adam Evanoff (0-5-1-0) - 19/22 saves for Victoria
Connor Martin - 17/18 saves for Victoria
Vancouver Power Play: 2/2
Victoria Power Play: 0/3
1) Justin Sourdif (1G, 1A)
2) Alex Kannok Leipert (1G, 1A, And a fight)
3) Drew Sim (1A, Shutout)
- Both of Drew Sim's WHL victories have now come against the Victoria Royals. He's 2-1 on the season.
- The Vancouver Giants have four shutout victories in a span of nine games to start the 2020-21 season. The Giants are also the only team in the WHL to have two different goalies record a shutout.
- Justin Sourdif has now notched three goals and five assists for eight points in three games against Victoria.
- Sourdif currently has a team-best five-game point streak. He has four goals and five assists for nine points in that span.
- Under-age defenceman Mazden Leslie leads all B.C. Division rookies with five goals. He also sits second in the WHL in goal-scoring among defencemen trailing only Cole Clayton (Medicine Hat) and Daemon Hunt (Moose Jaw) who have scored six.
- Monday's game marked the third time in a span of nine games that the Giants have held their opponents to 16-or-fewer shots against.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2021
- Broncos Turn in Strong Performance in Loss to ICE - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: April 17 - Portland Winterhawks
- ICE Edge Broncos 5-4 - Winnipeg Ice
- Silvertips Slip Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Former Wheat King Cole Reinhardt Signs Entry-Level Contract with Ottawa Senators - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Raiders Announce Partnership with NorSask Hockey Development, Global Sport Academy - Prince Albert Raiders
- Pre Game Report Presented by Imperial Steel - ICE vs Broncos - April 16, 2021 - Winnipeg Ice
- Darren Ritchie Accepts Position with the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, Wheat Kings Name Doug Gasper the 17th General Manager in Franchise History - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Tigers vs Rebels Preview - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Toss 45 Shots on Net But Fall to Paddock & the Raiders - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Sourdif, Sim Lead the Giants to a 4-0 Shutout Victory over Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Paddock Backstops Raiders to Win Over Warriors - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Blanked by Giants - Victoria Royals
- Oil Kings Blank Hurricanes, Pickup Fourth Straight Win - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Vancouver Giants Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule
- Vancouver Giants Home Opener Set for Friday, October 8th
- Michael Dyck Captures Gold at 2021 IIhf World Championships
- Three Vancouver Giants Receive B.C. Division Awards
- Giants to Select 18th Overall in 2021 WHL U.S. Priority Draft