Oil Kings Blank Hurricanes, Pickup Fourth Straight Win
Lethbridge, AB - The Edmonton Oil Kings (13-1-0-0) shutout the Lethbridge Hurricanes (6-7-2-0) 4-0 on Thursday night at the Enmax Centre to run their win streak to four games.
Coming off their second bye-week of the season, the Central Division leading Oil Kings looked to be battling the rust early. The visitors were heavily out chanced by the Hurricanes, but thanks to some timely saves by Sebastian Cossa they would hold the home side off the board in the opening frame despite being outshot 11-5.
Late in the first period, after killing off a lengthy five-on-three Hurricanes power-play, the Oil Kings would get their own opportunity with the man-power advantage and wouldn't waste it. Carter Souch found a loose puck in the left-wing corner, sent it back to the blue-line for Logan Dowhaniuk who would feather a pass to Ethan Cap who had his shot-pass re-directed in front by Carson Latimer for the game's opening goal with 3:05 left in the first period. The goal was Latimer's fourth of the year and second on the power-play.
Neither team would find any offence in the second period as both Cossa and Lethbridge netminder Carl Tetachuk were perfect stopping the 19 combined shots they faced, 10 for Edmonton and nine for the Hurricanes.
Carrying a 1-0 lead into the final stanza the Oil Kings would pour on the offence. At the 7:44 mark of the period, rookie Jayden Henderson would collect his first career WHL goal after Jalen Luypen stripped a puck behind the Hurricanes net, found Carter Souch in front who laid a backdoor pass onto the blade of Henderson for a redirection into an open cage. The Hurricanes would finish the game with a parade to the penalty box and the Oil Kings would make them pay burying a pair of power-play markers. First, Luypen snuck a low shot under the pad of Tetachuk with just over five minutes to play for his 11th goal of the season and Matthew Robertson would score with just a tenth-of-a-second left on the clock after one-time a centering feed from Souch.
The Oil Kings finished the night three-for-seven on the power-play while killing off all four Lethbridge chances. Sebastian Cossa made 30 saves for his second shutout of the season and 12th consecutive win.
The Oil Kings and Hurricanes meet again Saturday night at the Downtown Community Arena at 7 PM.
Sebastian Cossa has set a new Oil Kings franchise record for most consecutive wins in a single season surpassing the previous mark of 11 set by Tristan Jarry in 2013.
The shutout was the sixth of Cossa's career.
Jake Neighbours extended his point streak to 13 games with an assist (5G, 18A).
Jalen Luypen extended his point streak to four games with a goal and an assist (5G, 4A).
Carson Latimer extended his point streak to four games with a goal (2G, 2A).
Ethan Cap's two assists moved him into a tie with Ben Carroll for 10th most points by a defenceman in franchise history with 77.
The Oil Kings have now won three straight games against the Lethbridge Hurricanes.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 16, 2021
- Broncos Turn in Strong Performance in Loss to ICE - Swift Current Broncos
- Game Day Hub: April 17 - Portland Winterhawks
- ICE Edge Broncos 5-4 - Winnipeg Ice
- Silvertips Slip Past T-Birds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Former Wheat King Cole Reinhardt Signs Entry-Level Contract with Ottawa Senators - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Raiders Announce Partnership with NorSask Hockey Development, Global Sport Academy - Prince Albert Raiders
- Pre Game Report Presented by Imperial Steel - ICE vs Broncos - April 16, 2021 - Winnipeg Ice
- Darren Ritchie Accepts Position with the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs, Wheat Kings Name Doug Gasper the 17th General Manager in Franchise History - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Tigers vs Rebels Preview - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Toss 45 Shots on Net But Fall to Paddock & the Raiders - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Sourdif, Sim Lead the Giants to a 4-0 Shutout Victory over Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- Paddock Backstops Raiders to Win Over Warriors - Prince Albert Raiders
- Royals Blanked by Giants - Victoria Royals
- Oil Kings Blank Hurricanes, Pickup Fourth Straight Win - Edmonton Oil Kings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Oil Kings Acquire Jaxsen Wiebe from Red Deer in Exchange for Liam Keeler
- Oil Kings Announce Team Awards Led by Sebastian Cossa as MVP
- Oil Kings and Windsor Plywood Leduc's 'PK's for Charity' Makes Donation to Kids Kottage
- Oil Kings Guenther Claims Gold with Canada at World U18's
- Oil Kings Finish Season with 3-0 Win in Medicine Hat