Sound Tigers Edge Devils For Sixth Straight Win
ALBANY, N.Y. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers (32-16-1-1), proud AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, scored twice in the second period and held on late for a 3-2 win over the Albany Devils (30-22-1-1) at Times Union Center on Saturday afternoon.
It was Bridgeport's sixth straight win overall and the club's fifth straight on the road, helped by Carter Verhaeghe's fifth goal in four games and Josh Ho-Sang's second straight performance of three or more points. The Sound Tigers rookie now has seven points (two goals, five assists) in his last two contests.
Landry opened the scoring at 8:35 of the first period with a slap shot from the left wing. Connor Jones created the attack when he found Josh Ho-Sang in the slot, and the latter skated with the puck before setting up Landry at the top of the left circle. The veteran defenseman gathered the pass and stepped into a slapper that sailed over Ken Appleby's glove for his third tally this season.
The Devils answered on the power play with Carter Camper's fourth of the season at 16:13. With Michael Dal Colle in the box for holding, Camper corralled Nick Lappin's pass on the right side, traveled to the circle and sent a shot through traffic at Eamon McAdam. The Sound Tigers goaltender stopped the initial shot, but the rebound trickled across the goal line ahead of Kyle Burrough's reaching stick to make it 1-1.
Ho-Sang and Verhaeghe put Bridgeport on top for good with a pair of goals just 2:05 apart early in the middle frame. Ho-Sang made it 2-1 at the 2:31 mark when he finished a 2-on-1 rush for his eighth tally of the season. From the Sound Tigers' zone, Dal Colle banked a pass off the right window to a streaking Ho-Sang, where the latter loaded, faked and then scored at the doorstep with a left-to-right move.
Verhaeghe notched the eventual game-winner at 4:36 when he forced home Josh Winquist's centering feed from the left side, deep in the Devils' zone. Verhaeghe caught the puck and directed his shot past Appleby's left leg to extend his goal streak to four games.
Albany made things interesting at 1:13 of the third period when Lappin cut the Devils' deficit to one on the power play. With Andrew Rowe in the box for high sticking, Lappin tipped Carter Camper's shot from the right side for his seventh goal of the season. Lappin finished the game with two points (one goal, one assists), extending his point streak to 10 contests.
The Sound Tigers finished the game 0-for-3 on the power play and 0-for-2 on the penalty kill. McAdam (8-2-0) made 31 saves for the win in his first AHL start since Jan. 1, while Appleby (14-11-0) stopped 25 shots in Albany's loss.
Albany outshot Bridgeport 33-28.
Kids Free Day : All kids 12 and younger get in free at tomorrow's 3 p.m. game against the Hershey Bears with the purchase of an equal amount of adult seats at the Webster Bank Arena Click It Or Ticket Box Office. Click here to purchase tickets . Fans can also follow all of the action online via AHLlive.com, beginning with the pre-game show at 2:45 p.m. ET.
Frozen Night: Saturday, Feb. 25 will prove to be a magical night as popular Frozen characters visit Webster Bank Arena. Enjoy a meet-and-greet on the concourse and all fans are encouraged to come to the game dressed as his or her favorite character. In addition, a $25 Frozen package is available which includes one (1) game ticket, one (1) hot dog/soft drink combo voucher and your choice of a Tiara with a wand or crown. Call 203.345.2300 Option 7 to order or ORDER ONLINE NOW (use promo code LETITGO) . Limited packages are available for this special offer. Doors open at 6 p.m.
For additional details or to reserve seats for any of the 2016-17 giveaway and theme nights, please call the Sound Tigers' front office at (203) 345-2300.
Executive suites and premium seat packages are also available by calling the team's front office at (203) 345-4841. If you are interested in group outings with your friends, family, co-workers, or clients an unforgettable experience at a discounted rate, call the group sales hotline at (203) 345-2300 Ext. 7.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2017
- Stars Win Streak Ends in 4-1 Loss To Wolves - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Offensive Stampede Tramples Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Fall, 2-1, at Springfield - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blunden Scores Late as B-Sens Down Amerks 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Phantoms Turn Tables On Pack, 6-4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Balanced Offense Charges Phantoms Past Hartford 6-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Rockford to Pick up First Career Shutout - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Blanked by Griffins in 6-0 Loss - San Antonio Rampage
- Providence Falls to Hershey, Split Two-Game Series - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Downed by IceCaps, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. John's Sails Past Syracuse 6-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Manitoba Blanked by Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Bridgeport Outlasts Albany - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Edge Devils For Sixth Straight Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- New Jersey Acquires Defenseman Viktor Loov - Albany Devils
- AHL Suspends Matt Mangene Six Games - Texas Stars
- Hogs Cap Homestand vs. Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Manitoba Moose Moose Re-Assign Jake Baker - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Inks NHL Veteran Ryan Carter to a PTO - Iowa Wild
- Sabres Recall Baptiste - Rochester Americans
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Clash with Barracuda Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Cory Conacher from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Gulls Win Fourth Consecutive Game with 3-2 Win over Condors - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Brazed by Stars in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Penguins Outlast Sound Tigers in Shootout
- Islanders Recall Bardreau
- Sound Tigers Face Penguins to Begin Home Slate Tonight
- The Bridgeport Report - Week 2
- Islanders Recall Wahlstrom