New Jersey Acquires Defenseman Viktor Loov
Newark, NJ - The New Jersey Devils today acquired defenseman Viktor Loov from Toronto in exchange for forward Sergey Kalinin. Loov will report to Albany (AHL).
Loov, 24, has spent his entire North American career with the Maple Leafs' organization since the 2014-15 season. In 2015-16, he recorded two assists and had a combined plus-4 rating in four NHL games with the Maple Leafs. This season, Loov has played in 41 AHL games for the Toronto Marlies and has two goals, four assists for six points and 43 penalty minutes. In 170 AHL games from 2014-17, he has recorded 11 goals and 31 assists for 42 points and 127 penalty minutes.
The 6-1, 210lb. defenseman registered his first NHL point, an assist, in his NHL debut on February 18, 2016 vs. the NY Rangers. In 2014-15, he led all Marlies' defensemen with 74 games played and 15 assists, while ranking second on the club with six goals and 21 points. Prior to his North American career, the Swedish defenseman skated for MODO Hockey of the Swedish Hockey League in 2013-14. He also spent five seasons, 2008-13, with Sodertalje SK, playing at various levels. Loov was born November 16, 1992 in Sodertalje, Swe. and was Toronto's sixth choice (7th round), 209th overall, in the 2012 NHL Draft.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2017
- Stars Win Streak Ends in 4-1 Loss To Wolves - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Offensive Stampede Tramples Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Fall, 2-1, at Springfield - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blunden Scores Late as B-Sens Down Amerks 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Phantoms Turn Tables On Pack, 6-4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Balanced Offense Charges Phantoms Past Hartford 6-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Rockford to Pick up First Career Shutout - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Blanked by Griffins in 6-0 Loss - San Antonio Rampage
- Providence Falls to Hershey, Split Two-Game Series - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Downed by IceCaps, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. John's Sails Past Syracuse 6-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Manitoba Blanked by Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Bridgeport Outlasts Albany - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Edge Devils For Sixth Straight Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- New Jersey Acquires Defenseman Viktor Loov - Albany Devils
- AHL Suspends Matt Mangene Six Games - Texas Stars
- Hogs Cap Homestand vs. Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Manitoba Moose Moose Re-Assign Jake Baker - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Inks NHL Veteran Ryan Carter to a PTO - Iowa Wild
- Sabres Recall Baptiste - Rochester Americans
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Clash with Barracuda Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Cory Conacher from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Gulls Win Fourth Consecutive Game with 3-2 Win over Condors - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Brazed by Stars in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.