Nedeljkovic Blanks Rockford to Pick up First Career Shutout
ROCKFORD, IL - After a heartbreaking loss last night and a shuffled roster today, the Checkers regrouped and locked down the Rockford Icehogs for a clutch 2-0 victory on the road.
After entering last night's contest abruptly following an injury to starter Michael Leighton, Alex Nedeljkovic was back between the pipes in Rockford and turned in a stellar performance. The rookie denied all 30 shots he was faced with to pick up his first shutout as a pro, frustrating a Rockford team riding an eight-game point streak.
The Checkers broke through on the scoreboard midway through the first when Valentin Zykov carved his way through a mass of defenders and sniped one past Rockford netminder Jeff Glass. Leading scorer Andrew Poturalski doubled that advantage in the middle frame on a slick redirect of a Keegan Lowe point shot. Charlotte would keep the pressure on the IceHogs for much of the remainder of regulation, but that would be all the offense they would need to secure the 2-0 win.
Period Time Team Goal Assist Assist
1st 11:35 CHA Zykov (13) Poturalski Nestrasil
2nd 6:57 CHA Poturalski (11) Lowe 2-0 CHA
Charlotte improved to 10-4-1 since Jan. 10 ... Nedeljkovic's shutout was the first of his professional career. It was the Checkers' fourth of the season and second in their last three games ... Three of the Checkers' four games against Rockford this season featured shutouts (two for the Checkers, one for Rockford ... Nedeljkovic has won each of his last four starts ... Poturalski extended his point streak to five games (2g, 4a). He has points in 12 of his last 15 games ... Poturalski and Zykov scored goals for the second consecutive game ... Rockford suffered its first regulation loss since Jan. 28 (5-0-3), with this game ending its five-game win streak ... Forwards Patrick Dwyer, Kyle Hagel, Sergey Tolchinsky and Brendan Woods and goaltender Michael Leighton missed the game due to injury ... Forward Phil Di Giuseppe (impending NHL recall) and defenseman Kevin Raine were healthy extras.
The Checkers wrap up their final three-in-three of the season tomorrow night in a rematch with the Milwaukee Admirals.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2017
- Stars Win Streak Ends in 4-1 Loss To Wolves - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Offensive Stampede Tramples Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Fall, 2-1, at Springfield - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blunden Scores Late as B-Sens Down Amerks 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Phantoms Turn Tables On Pack, 6-4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Balanced Offense Charges Phantoms Past Hartford 6-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Rockford to Pick up First Career Shutout - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Blanked by Griffins in 6-0 Loss - San Antonio Rampage
- Providence Falls to Hershey, Split Two-Game Series - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Downed by IceCaps, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. John's Sails Past Syracuse 6-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Manitoba Blanked by Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Bridgeport Outlasts Albany - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Edge Devils For Sixth Straight Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- New Jersey Acquires Defenseman Viktor Loov - Albany Devils
- AHL Suspends Matt Mangene Six Games - Texas Stars
- Hogs Cap Homestand vs. Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Manitoba Moose Moose Re-Assign Jake Baker - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Inks NHL Veteran Ryan Carter to a PTO - Iowa Wild
- Sabres Recall Baptiste - Rochester Americans
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Clash with Barracuda Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Cory Conacher from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Gulls Win Fourth Consecutive Game with 3-2 Win over Condors - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Brazed by Stars in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Checkers Stories
- Tracking Panthers Prospects and Former Checkers as Hockey Season Begins
- Checkers will not participate in 2020-21 AHL Season
- Checkers to Continue Affiliation with Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Charlotte Checkers Announce Affiliation with NHL's Florida Panthers
- 'Canes Agree to Terms with David and Jason Cotton