Wolves Brazed by Stars in Overtime
CEDAR PARK, Texas - Defenseman Nick Ebert delivered the game-winning goal with just 26 seconds left in overtime to give the Texas Stars a 4-3 victory over the Chicago Wolves on Friday night at HEB Center.
Chicago (29-17-4-3) rallied from three one-goal deficits - the last one overcome by forward Ty Loney's goal with 46 seconds left in regulation) - to force overtime. The Wolves also killed off 3:36 of a four-minute penalty in the extra session before Texas (24-20-1-2) converted the game's only power-play goal.
The loss was the Wolves' seventh straight against the Stars in Texas and ended their winning streak against the Pacific Division at five games.
Center Mike McMurtry got the Stars on the board first at 6:41 of the opening period, but the Wolves answered at 10:31. Skating 4-on-4, defenseman Reid McNeill slid the puck to his partner Morgan Ellis near the top of the left offensive circle. Ellis cycled back near the left point and rocketed a shot through traffic to knot the game at one.
Just 2:59 later, Wolves defenseman Vince Dunn got caught in a 2-on-1 rush, and Stars center Jason Dickinson made a cross-slot pass to Brandon DeFazio for an easy top-shelf goal to put Texas back in the lead.
Scoring the lone goal of the second period at 1:07, Wolves forward Samuel Blais weaved through all three zones and right into the slot for a chance that found twine and knotted the game 2-2.
Texas captain Travis Morin continued the early-period scoring trend and cashed in at 1:04 of the third frame to give his squad the 3-2 lead. Chicago waited until the final minute to get even.
With goaltender Jordan Binnington (9-6-4) on the bench for the extra attacker, the Wolves forced overtime. Cycling inside the left offensive circle, Blais threw the puck into net-front traffic and it deflected off Loney and past netminder Justin Peters (9-7-0) with 36 seconds on the clock.
In overtime, Chicago rookie Steve McParland took a high-sticking double-minor penalty just 59 seconds into the frame. The Wolves penalty killers shaved off 3:36 of the 4-on-3 disadvantage before Ebert scored.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2017
- Stars Win Streak Ends in 4-1 Loss To Wolves - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Offensive Stampede Tramples Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Fall, 2-1, at Springfield - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blunden Scores Late as B-Sens Down Amerks 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Phantoms Turn Tables On Pack, 6-4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Balanced Offense Charges Phantoms Past Hartford 6-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Rockford to Pick up First Career Shutout - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Blanked by Griffins in 6-0 Loss - San Antonio Rampage
- Providence Falls to Hershey, Split Two-Game Series - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Downed by IceCaps, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. John's Sails Past Syracuse 6-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Manitoba Blanked by Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Bridgeport Outlasts Albany - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Edge Devils For Sixth Straight Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- New Jersey Acquires Defenseman Viktor Loov - Albany Devils
- AHL Suspends Matt Mangene Six Games - Texas Stars
- Hogs Cap Homestand vs. Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Manitoba Moose Moose Re-Assign Jake Baker - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Inks NHL Veteran Ryan Carter to a PTO - Iowa Wild
- Sabres Recall Baptiste - Rochester Americans
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Clash with Barracuda Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Cory Conacher from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Gulls Win Fourth Consecutive Game with 3-2 Win over Condors - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Brazed by Stars in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Wolves Stories
- Chicago Wolves Unveil 2020-21 Schedule
- Chicago Wolves Add First-Rounder Dominik Bokk
- Chicago Wolves Receive 13 from Carolina
- Chicago Wolves Partner with the #SameHere Global Mental Health Movement to Create Project Thrive
- Chicago Wolves Add Nashville Affiliation for 2020-21