Penguins Fall, 2-1, at Springfield
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton suffered a 2-1 loss against the Springfield Thunderbirds at MassMutual Center on Saturday night.
The Penguins (37-13-3-0) dropped consecutive games in regulation for just the second time this season despite throwing mounds of pressure at the Thunderbirds (19-23-7-2) throughout the contest. Springfield goalie Reto Berra was superb in net, making 34 saves for the victory.
During the opening period, the work of both teams' goaltenders helped secure a scoreless tie. It took until 4:07 of the second period for the game's first tally to take place. Springfield's Kyle Rau sent a pretty pass over to Jared McCann, who gave the Thunderbirds the 1-0 lead with a power play goal.
As time was dwindling away for the Penguins, David Warsofsky eventually tied the game at 7:57 of the third period with a shot from the point on the power play. The goal was Warsofsky's team-leading man advantage marker of the season.
Springfield regained the lead 3:09 later when Juho Lammikko found a rebound and popped it over the right pad of Casey DeSmith.
A late surge from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton while on a six-on-four power play ended the action in exciting fashion, but the Penguins couldn't find another equalizer and the Thunderbirds hung on for the 2-1 victory.
DeSmith posted 25 saves on 27 shots faced as his personal record dropped to 14-4-2 on the season.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next game is tomorrow, Sunday, Feb. 19, when it takes on the Providence Bruins. Puck drop between the Penguins and Bruins is scheduled for 3:00 p.m. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's next home game isn't until Wednesday, Mar. 8, and its opponent will be the Lehigh Valley Phantoms.
Individual game tickets for Mar. 8's game and all Penguins home games are available at the Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza box office, online at TicketMaster.com, or by calling 800-745-3000.
Penguins ticket packages, including 12-game and 10-voucher flex packs, are available directly through the Penguins offices by calling (570) 208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 18, 2017
- Stars Win Streak Ends in 4-1 Loss To Wolves - Texas Stars
- Griffins' Offensive Stampede Tramples Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Penguins Fall, 2-1, at Springfield - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Blunden Scores Late as B-Sens Down Amerks 4-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Phantoms Turn Tables On Pack, 6-4 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Balanced Offense Charges Phantoms Past Hartford 6-4 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Nedeljkovic Blanks Rockford to Pick up First Career Shutout - Charlotte Checkers
- Rampage Blanked by Griffins in 6-0 Loss - San Antonio Rampage
- Providence Falls to Hershey, Split Two-Game Series - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Downed by IceCaps, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- St. John's Sails Past Syracuse 6-1 - St. John's IceCaps
- Manitoba Blanked by Toronto - Manitoba Moose
- Bridgeport Outlasts Albany - Albany Devils
- Sound Tigers Edge Devils For Sixth Straight Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- New Jersey Acquires Defenseman Viktor Loov - Albany Devils
- AHL Suspends Matt Mangene Six Games - Texas Stars
- Hogs Cap Homestand vs. Checkers - Rockford IceHogs
- Manitoba Moose Moose Re-Assign Jake Baker - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Inks NHL Veteran Ryan Carter to a PTO - Iowa Wild
- Sabres Recall Baptiste - Rochester Americans
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Clash with Barracuda Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Cory Conacher from Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Gulls Win Fourth Consecutive Game with 3-2 Win over Condors - San Diego Gulls
- Wolves Brazed by Stars in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Beat Bridgeport in Shootout, 3-2
- Penguins Come Back to Stay Undefeated against Devils
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Mid-Week Home Game against Devils
- Ryan Scarfo Recalled by Penguins
- Penguins Drop 5-1 Decision at Hershey