Sod Poodles Pull Even Late, Fall in Series Opener
Frisco, Texas - Despite a rally to tie the ballgame in top of the ninth, the Sod Poodles fell 5-4 to the Frisco RoughRiders on Preston Beck's walk-off RBI single in the bottom of the inning at Dr. Pepper Ballpark.
Trailing 4-3 in the top half of the ninth, the Sod Poodles loaded the bases against lefty Locke St. John. Ivan Castillo dug in and hit a ground ball to the left side. RoughRiders shortstop Michael De Leon was able to keep it on the infield, but the tying run crossed home.
In the bottom half, Amarillo righty David Bednar allowed the first two batters to reach base. He bounced back to get a fly out and strikeout, before getting to a two-strike count on Beck. Beck then hit a line drive into right centerfield as Frisco won the ballgame.
The Sod Poodles jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the series opener against Frisco starter Joe Palumbo, scoring one run in each of the first three innings. Owen Miller delivered an run-scoring single in the first to get the scoring started.
Amarillo starter Lake Bachar began his outing by retiring six batters in a row, but got into trouble in the third. After allowing a hit and a walk, Michael De Leon struck a two-run single. Later in the frame, Bachar walked in a run as the RoughRiders tied the ballgame.
In the fifth, Andretty Cordero lined a RBI single against Kazuhisa Makita to give Frisco a 4-3 advantage. Makita pitched 2.2 innings in relief of Bachar and allowed just that run.
Left-hander Travis Radke delivered two scoreless innings in relief for the Soddies. Frisco reliever James Jones also pitched two scoreless frames after Palumbo exited.
The Sod Poodles and RoughRiders continue their series on Friday evening. First pitch is at 7:05 p.m. Left-hander Adrian Morejon makes the start for Amarillo while Frisco counters with righty Pedro Payano.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Gomez Guides Naturals to Win over Cardinals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Beck and Cordero Go Back-To-Back in 7-5 Defeat - Frisco RoughRiders
- Sod Poodles Rally, Munoz Shuts Door for Win - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- 7 Game Series vs Naturals and Cardinals - Arkansas Travelers
- Sod Poodles Upcoming Homestand Features Fireworks, Back-To-Back Weekend Giveaways - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Cardinals Day at Dickerson Park Zoo this Sunday - Springfield Cardinals
- Carlson Nearly Cycles as Cards Blow Past Naturals, 10-4 - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Pull Even Late, Fall in Series Opener - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- White's Three RBIs Lead RockHounds to Win - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Take Opener from Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Hounds Pull Away Late - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Winning Streak Ends as Cardinals Take Opener - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Beck's Walk-Off Single Helps Riders Bury Sod Poodles - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Top First-Place Travelers - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Amarillo Sod Poodles Stories
- Flatland Cavalry Concert at Hodgetown this Friday
- Soddies Saturday Spooktacular to Bring Halloween to Downtown Amarillo
- Flatland Cavalry to Ride into Hodgetown, Concert Announced for October 23
- Hodgetown Honky-Tonk Concert Scheduled for October 3 Featuring Cooder Graw
- Hodgetown to be Transformed into HodgeWarts with Upcoming Harry Potter On-Field Movie Night