Hounds Pull Away Late
MIDLAND - The RockHounds sent nine men to the plate in the seventh inning Thursday night, turning a 2-2 tie into a 6-2 victory over Corpus Christi before 4,780 fans in the series opener at Security Bank Ballpark.
The evening began as a pitchers' duel between Kyle Friedrichs and Hooks lefty Brett Adcock.
Adcock had retired nine in a row heading into the home fifth inning. Base hits by Dairon Blanco and Kevin Merrell began the frame. Following a wild pitch, Edwin Diaz put the Hounds on the board with a sac fly to center field. Mikey White made it 2-0 thanks to a two-out RBI double to right field.
Midland (20-19) managed just three hits off Adcock, who owns a 2.95 ERA in his last four assignments.
Friedrichs also scattered three hits over five innings of work. He struck out three and did not issue a walk.
Angel Duno (2-0), who was perfect in the sixth, ran into trouble in the seventh. Stephen Wrenn coaxed a lead-off walk and then Abraham Toro launched a line-drive home run into the right-field bullpen, leveling the score at 2.
Toro has seven home runs and leads the Texas League with 32 RBIs.
Cristian Javier (0-1), making his Double-A debut, permitted back-to-back triples to open the home seventh. White followed with his first home run of the year, a two-run shot to left for a 5-2 Hounds lead. Blanco later added a two-out RBI single, completing the four-run frame.
Corpus Christi (19-20) southpaw Kit Scheetz struck out the side in the eighth but Kyle Finnegan posted zeros in the eighth and ninth to nail down the Midland triumph.
The Hooks plan to send Tyler Ivey (3-0, 0.86) to the mound Friday night. Ivey will be opposed by Daulton Jefferies (0-0, 5.00). First pitch 7:00.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from May 17, 2019
- Gomez Guides Naturals to Win over Cardinals - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Beck and Cordero Go Back-To-Back in 7-5 Defeat - Frisco RoughRiders
- Sod Poodles Rally, Munoz Shuts Door for Win - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- 7 Game Series vs Naturals and Cardinals - Arkansas Travelers
- Sod Poodles Upcoming Homestand Features Fireworks, Back-To-Back Weekend Giveaways - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- Cardinals Day at Dickerson Park Zoo this Sunday - Springfield Cardinals
- Carlson Nearly Cycles as Cards Blow Past Naturals, 10-4 - Springfield Cardinals
- Sod Poodles Pull Even Late, Fall in Series Opener - Amarillo Sod Poodles
- White's Three RBIs Lead RockHounds to Win - Midland RockHounds
- Drillers Take Opener from Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- Hounds Pull Away Late - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Winning Streak Ends as Cardinals Take Opener - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Beck's Walk-Off Single Helps Riders Bury Sod Poodles - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Top First-Place Travelers - Tulsa Drillers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.