Simon Watson to start in 2007 All-Star Game
LUBBOCK, TX: December 27, 2006 - The Central Hockey League announced the starting line-up for the Southern Conference at the Dodge 2007 CHL All-Star Game, and Lubbock Cotton Kings rookie forward Simon Watson was named to the starting unit. The game is scheduled for Wednesday, January 17th, at the CenturyTel Center in Bossier City, Louisiana.
Watson, a Waterloo, Ontario native that spent the last four seasons at St. Lawrence University, currently leads the Lubbock Cotton Kings in scoring with 25 points in 25 games off 14 goals and 11 assists. His point totals rank tied for third among CHL rookies and his 14 goals lead all CHL rookies and ranks second overall in the Southern Conference. The 6'0" 182-pound forward also leads all rookies with 4 game winning goals, co-leads rookies in shots (82) and ranks third among league rookies in power play goals with 7. Watson currently co-leads the Southern Conference in "Top Three Stars" selection points.
The selection process to determine starters was conducted by the calculation of ballots among CHL Head Coaches, Communication Departments and select media members. Watson is the only rookie on the starting lineup and joins Arizona's Brent Kelly, Corpus Christi's Justin Quenneville, Laredo's Adam Rivet, Scott Hillman of Odessa and Rio Grande Valley goaltender Jeremy Symington on the Southern Conference starting unit, which will be coached by Laredo's Terry Ruskowski. An additional six forwards, four defensemen and two goaltenders (as well as any necessary injury replacements) for the Southern Conference will be selected by Ruskowski in conjunction with the CHL's Hockey Operations department. Complete 2007 All-Star rosters will be announced Friday, December 29th.
Watson's naming to the starting unit marks the first time a Kings representative has been named as a starter to the league all-star game since Derick Martin in the 2005 CHL All-Star Game in Laredo. It is the third time a Kings rookie has been selected to an all-star game, as Watson joins Martin and Derek Holland (2001 WPHL All-Star Game in Odessa) with the distinction.
The Cotton Kings are competing in their eighth season of professional hockey in the South Plains. They return to action Friday hosting the Corpus Christi Rayz at City Bank Coliseum in a 7:05 PM tilt. Individual ticket and corporate sponsorship information is available by contacting the Cotton Kings office at (806) 747-7825. Additional 'Kings info can be found online via their official site at www.cottonkings.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from December 27, 2006
- Scorpions' 10-game point streak snapped - New Mexico Scorpions
- Eagles Win Ninth Straight Over Scorpions 5-1 - Colorado Eagles
- Rage Swing Deal for Left Winger Adam Loncan - Rocky Mountain Rage
- Season ticket holders can get special private viewing of the Stanley Cup - New Mexico Scorpions
- Simon Watson to start in 2007 All-Star Game - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Busy Week Continues - Tulsa Oilers
- Kelly Named as Starter for 2007 CHL All-Star Game - Arizona Sundogs
- Carroll Named Starter for 2007 CHL All-Star Game - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Quenneville named as 2007 All-Star starter - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Pair of SteelHounds Named Starters for the CHL All-Star Game - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Rivet Will Start For Southern Conference In CHL All-Star Game - Laredo Bucks
- Landmesser to start in 2007 All-Star Game - Mississippi RiverKings
- Symington named All-Star starter - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- 2007 Dodge CHL All-Star Game Starters Announced - CHL
- Scorpions move near top of standings - New Mexico Scorpions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.