Cotton Kings Game Night Preview
3/21/07 -LUBBOCK COTTON KINGS (23-30-8) @ COLORADO EAGLES (44-16-1)
- 8:05 PM BUDWEISER EVENTS CENTER RADIO- KKAM 1340 AM
The Lubbock Cotton Kings can throw all the playoff scenarios out the door tonight as they are on the road facing the Colorado Eagles. There had been four teams, which includes the Cotton Kings, in the mix for the final playoff spot in the Southern Conference, resulting in a myriad of playoff possibilities. Last night's Rio Grande Valley victory over Austin cleared a lot of the playoff picture for the Cotton Kings and the Austin Ice Bats. Austin was eliminated for playoff contention last night and the Cotton Kings must now have the combination of winning all three of their remaining games and having Rio Grande Valley lose all three of their remaining games in regulation.
It is the third and final meeting of the season between the two clubs and the second of two visits to the Budweiser Events Center for the Cotton Kings. Colorado has a perfect 2-0-0 series record against the Kings this season. Craig Minard leads Lubbock this season in the series with 2 assists, while Ryan Tobler (1g,5a) and Ed McGrane (4g,2a) each lead the Eagles and the series with 6 points. It is the 17th meeting all-time between the two clubs and Colorado has an all-time series mark of 12-2-2, while Lubbock is 4-11-1 in the all-time series. Colorado's Ryan Tobler is the all-time series leader offensively with 5 goals and 15 assists for 20 points. Lubbock's all-time leader against Colorado is former members Jan Melichercik (2g,6a) and Paul Fioroni (3g,5a), who each had 8 points.
THE LAST TIME
3/21/07 - Colorado Eagles forward Ed McGrane led the way for his team with a hat trick and four points in a 6-1 decision over the Lubbock Cotton Kings at the Budweiser Events Center.
Colorado's Sean Robertson scored first as he stood at the doorstep of crease, and redirected a shot to get the puck past Lubbock goaltender J.F. Perras with 5:53 left in the first period. The Cotton Kings answered back with a Jonathan Hobson goal 3:16 later at the 17:23 mark.
Eagles McGrane made it a 2-1 game when he fired a shot from the right circle into the back of the net at 4:06 of the second period. The power play marker ends the run of five consecutive games in which the Cotton Kings successfully killed off 24 opponent power plays. Colorado lit the lamp again as McGrane converted with a shot from in between the circles with 5:45 left in the second period. In the third period, Eagles Aaron Grosul made it a 4-1 game with his first goal of the year 3:45 into the frame. Just 1:47 later the scoring continued for Colorado with Steve Haddon recording the fifth Eagle goal of the night at 5:32. McGrane then completed the hat trick as he scored with 8:30 left in regulation.
Perras takes the loss in net as his three-game win streak comes to an end. The Embrun, Ontario native made 28 saves off of 34 Colorado shots on goal. Eagles Marco Emond had 30 stops off of 31 Lubbock shots on net in the win. The Cotton Kings were 0-for-7 on the power play, while Colorado was 1-for-3 on the man-advantage.
Lubbock has not made any changes reflective for tonight's game.
Kings - 54 points, 5th place, 16 points back, Southwest Division.
Eagles - 89 points, 1st place, Northwest Division.
Kings - Points: 57 Bobby Brown, Goals: 29 Anders Strome, Assists: 35 Bobby Brown, Penalty Minutes: 208 Paul McBrien.
Eagles - Points: 85 Riley Nelson, Goals: 39 Riley Nelson, Assists: 54 Brad Williamson, Penalty Minutes: 270 Fraser Filipic.
Kings - Power play: 14.3% 13th, Penalty killing: 87.4% T-1st.
Eagles - Power play: 21.3% 1st, Penalty killing: 85.8% 5th.
Kings - JF Perras (14-14-3, 3 SO, 2.82), Kyle Stanton (7-16-5, 1 SO, 3.57). Anthony Feyock (1-0-0, 0 SO, 2.73)
Eagles - Marco Emond (26-18-0, 2 SO, 2.70), Tim Boron (13-4-0, 0 SO, 2.91), Paulo Colaiacovo (5-4-1, 0 SO, 3.06).
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2007
- Eagles Eliminate Kings Playoff Hopes with 4-1 Win - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Eagles Close Home Schedule with 4-1 Win Over Lubbock - Colorado Eagles
- RiverKings weekly news and notes - Mississippi RiverKings
- Landmesser named All-CHL for third straight season - Mississippi RiverKings
- Kelly Named to 2006-07 All-CHL Team - Arizona Sundogs
- Ryan McLeod Named To CHL All-Rookie Team - New Mexico Scorpions
- Chaumont Selected To CHL All-Rookie Team - Laredo Bucks
- 2006-2007 All-CHL, All-Rookie Teams Announced - CHL
- Christian and Richards named ALL CHL - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Thunder reinstates Blaznek - Wichita Thunder
- "Goals for Kids" Set to Present Donation to Children's Miracle Network - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Hounds Home Playoff Dates Confirmed - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Weekly Notes - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Sundogs Skate Past New Mexico 4-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Scorpions Point Streak Ends In Arizona - New Mexico Scorpions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.