Ryan McLeod Named To CHL All-Rookie Team
[ RIO RANCHO, N.M.]-The Scorpions Ryan McLeod has been named to the 2006-07 CHL All-Rookie Team. McLeod is also a finalist for the CHL Rookie of the Year which will be announced in the coming week.
After spending two seasons with the University of Alaska-Fairbanks and a brief stop in Victoria of the ECHL, McLeod signed with New Mexico this past summer. The Fernie, B.C. native has been the most consistent rookie on the Scorpions squad.
"I am honored to be chosen for this honor in my first year," said McLeod. "I have been fortunate to be successful this season and my teammates are a big part of why I have been named to the All-Rookie Team."
McLeod opened the season with goals in the first six games. Through 61 games this season, the forward has picked up 62 points, including 39 assists, tops among all CHL rookies. The 22-year-old has also scored 23 goals, third most on the Scorpions.
"Ryan has been our most consistent rookie this season," said head coach Ray Edwards, "He is very skilled and has tremendous speed and we are proud of the way he has progressed this season."
Joining McLeod on the CHL All-Rookie team are Cam Abbott and John DeCaro from Bossier-Shreveport, Bobby Chaumont from Laredo, Alex Dunn from Odessa and Craig Strain from Colorado.
Along with McLeod, Lance Herauf is also one of the six finalists for the CHL Rookie of the Year Award. The Scorpions started the season with 10 rookies on their roster and currently have eight rookies helping lead them to New Mexico 's first playoff appearance since 2003.
The Scorpions return to the Santa Ana Star Center Friday night for a battle with Colorado. The "Sci-Fi Night" puck drops at 7:35 p.m.
Saturday night the Scorpions play their final home game of the regular season with a 7:05 p.m. battle against the Rocky Mountain Rage. Buy your Red Out T-Shirt for only $15 and get a free ticket to the game. In addition, six lucky fans attending the game on March 24 will have a chance to win $10,000 in the Santa Ana Star Casino Cash Drop.
Don't forget to buy your playoff tickets as the Scorpions will look to win their first CHL Championship. Tickets packages are available by calling the Scorpions office at (505) 881-PUCK  or by visiting www.scorpionshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2007
- Eagles Eliminate Kings Playoff Hopes with 4-1 Win - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Eagles Close Home Schedule with 4-1 Win Over Lubbock - Colorado Eagles
- RiverKings weekly news and notes - Mississippi RiverKings
- Landmesser named All-CHL for third straight season - Mississippi RiverKings
- Kelly Named to 2006-07 All-CHL Team - Arizona Sundogs
- Ryan McLeod Named To CHL All-Rookie Team - New Mexico Scorpions
- Chaumont Selected To CHL All-Rookie Team - Laredo Bucks
- 2006-2007 All-CHL, All-Rookie Teams Announced - CHL
- Christian and Richards named ALL CHL - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Game Night Preview - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Thunder reinstates Blaznek - Wichita Thunder
- "Goals for Kids" Set to Present Donation to Children's Miracle Network - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Hounds Home Playoff Dates Confirmed - Youngstown SteelHounds
- Cotton Kings Weekly Notes - Lubbock Cotton Kings
- Sundogs Skate Past New Mexico 4-1 - Arizona Sundogs
- Scorpions Point Streak Ends In Arizona - New Mexico Scorpions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.