Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 4-2 Victory
ROME, GA - After jumping out to an early 3-0 lead through the first three frames, the Intimidators held on to beat the Braves Wednesday evening 4-2 at State Mutual Stadium.
After working the count full with Rome's starter Ricky DeVito (L, 0-2) to lead off the second inning, Cam Simmons used the seventh pitch of his at-bat to get Kannapolis on the board, sending a solo homer (2) to right-center field.
After Kannapolis' Jason Bilous recorded a strikeout and induced a double play in the bottom of the second, Alex Destino singled, followed by a Tyler Osik double (7) to put two runners in scoring position. One batter later, Corey Zangari doubled (17) on a groundball down the third base line, scoring both Destino and Osik to push the lead to three runs.
Bilous continued to cruise through the Rome batters, until the sixth inning. To lead off the frame, Michael Harris singled on a line drive to right field, setting up Greg Cullen a double (22) to right field to score Cullen. After a mound visit, flyout, and wild pitch from Bilous, Shea Langeliers singled on a groundball up the middle to cut the lead to one, 3-2.
Two innings later, Gunnar Troutwine walked against Rome's new arm, Kasey Kalich, as Simmons then doubled (2) to left field to put two runners on for Camilo Quinteiro. On a 1-1 pitch, Quinteiro hit a sacrifice fly to center field, proving deep enough to score Troutwine from third.
Up 4-2 going into the ninth, Austin Conway (S, 9) allowed the first batter to single and then hit the next Braves batter on a 2-0 pitch. Still with no outs, Jeremy Fernandez laid down a bunt back to Conway on the bump, as the Intimidators reliever fired over to third to get the lead runner. Next up, Conway struck out Braulio Vasquez on three pitches for the second out. With the tying run still at first, Justin Dean grounded out to Lenyn Sosa at shortstop to end the Rome threat.
Kannapolis will send Johan Dominguez (4-4, 2.85 ERA) to the mound against Rome's Dilmer Mejia (7-3, 2.37 ERA) at 7:00 p.m. at State Mutual Stadium on Thursday for Game 3.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Parra Fires CG in Losing Effort at Augusta - Asheville Tourists
- Jackets Pitching Records Two-Hitter for 1-0 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Columbia Scores Two in the Ninth, Comes Back to Beat Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Stitch Together 18th Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Vanasco Stellar in Debut But 'Dads Drop Game 2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Holds RiverDogs to Three Hits in 1-0 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Bullpen Ends Streak in 5-4 Loss to Drive - Hagerstown Suns
- Dogs Snag Series Behind Dominant Maciejewski - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis Escapes with Narrow 4-2 Victory over Rome - Rome Braves
- Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 4-2 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Swanson, Riley to Rehab with Rome Braves - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 21 at Hickory (Game 124) - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Legends Announce 2020 Schedule - Lexington Legends
- Pelletier Homers Twice, Claws Roll 12-2 in Lexington on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Lineup Leads Rome to 14-4 Blowout Win over Kannapolis - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kannapolis Intimidators Stories
- Dawkins and Destino Make 2019 SAL Annual All-Star Team
- 19-Year Run as Intimidators Comes to An End on Labor Day in Maryland
- Zangari's Three-Hit Day Leads Intimidators to 5-2 Win
- Late-Inning Comeback Not Enough in 4-3 Loss
- Simmons' Grand Slam Lifts Intimidators over 'Birds