Bullpen Ends Streak in 5-4 Loss to Drive
HAGERSTOWN, MD - The Suns bullpen surrendered four runs in as many innings in a 5-4 loss to the Greenville Drive at Municipal Stadium Wednesday night.
Hagerstown (58-70, 28-30) took a 4-2 lead during a three-run sixth that started with a Drew Mendoza walk and a Jacob Rhinesmith single before Kyle Marinconz hit a one-out base knock to load the bases for Cole Daily, who drew a four-pitch walk to tie the game 2-2.
Trey Vickers sliced a single to left to plate the next pair for Hagerstown to gain the lead, but the bullpen was unable to hold off the Drive (53-74, 21-36).
The Suns scored their first run in the bottom of the first after Justin Connell and Rhinesmith successfully completed a double steal to score Connell and give Hagerstown a 1-0 lead.
Joan Adon got the no-decision after going five frames without surrendering an earned run. He left the game tied 1-1 before handing the ball to Nick Wells. Wells allowed three runs to score in two innings before exiting the game. When Wells allowed his first run, it ended an 18-inning scoreless streak from Hagesrtown's bullpen.
The difference maker came in the eighth inning with Pearson McMahan (L, 0-2) on the bump for Hagerstown. With one out, he gave up a homer to right field from Tyler Dearden to break the 4-4 tie.
Meanwhile, the Suns bats were unable to break the spell of Alex Demchak (W, 3-1). Demchak worked three innings while just surrendering a single hit and fanning a pair of batters.
Hagerstown and Greenville battle in a rubbermatch tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. at Municipal Stadium. The Suns turn to RHP Jackson Rutledge (1-0, 3.12 ERA), while Greenville counters with RHP Brayan Bello (5-8, 5.79 ERA).
The Suns are the midst of a six-game homestand against the Greenville Drive and Delmarva Shorebirds August 20-25. The stretch is full of great promotions including Thirsty Thursday, Fireworks Night, a Mike Mussina Bobblehead and much more!
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Parra Fires CG in Losing Effort at Augusta - Asheville Tourists
- Jackets Pitching Records Two-Hitter for 1-0 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Columbia Scores Two in the Ninth, Comes Back to Beat Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Stitch Together 18th Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Vanasco Stellar in Debut But 'Dads Drop Game 2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Holds RiverDogs to Three Hits in 1-0 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Bullpen Ends Streak in 5-4 Loss to Drive - Hagerstown Suns
- Dogs Snag Series Behind Dominant Maciejewski - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis Escapes with Narrow 4-2 Victory over Rome - Rome Braves
- Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 4-2 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Swanson, Riley to Rehab with Rome Braves - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 21 at Hickory (Game 124) - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Legends Announce 2020 Schedule - Lexington Legends
- Pelletier Homers Twice, Claws Roll 12-2 in Lexington on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Lineup Leads Rome to 14-4 Blowout Win over Kannapolis - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.