Parra Fires CG in Losing Effort at Augusta
NORTH AUGUSTA - The Asheville Tourists received a spectacular starting pitching performance from Frederis Parra on Wednesday night but it was not enough in their 1-0 loss to the Augusta GreenJackets. Asheville managed only two hits and totaled four base-runners throughout the game.
Parra was without a doubt the lone bright spot. Frederis pitched eight innings and surrendered the only run of the game. It came on a two-out RBI groundball single in the bottom of the seventh inning that just barely bounced over the glove of third-baseman Kyle Datres. Parra scattered seven hits and did not walk a batter while striking out five.
Offensively the Tourists received a second inning walk by Grant Lavigne which was erased on a double-play ball. A fourth inning single by Niko Decolati; however, he was stranded at second base. A fifth inning single by Daniel Montano, who did make it over to third but was left there. Lastly, John Cresto worked a leadoff walk in the ninth.
The Tourists attempted to play some small ball in the final frame but a failed sacrifice bunt kept the tying run at first base and allowed Augusta to turn a game-ending double play on the next batter. Asheville struck out ten times in the loss. One factor that may have affected both offenses was a 1:30 minute weather delay that the two teams had to wait out pre-game.
Despite the defeat, the Tourists remain in first place and still have a chance to win the series on Thursday evening with the rubber match scheduled for 7:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Parra Fires CG in Losing Effort at Augusta - Asheville Tourists
- Jackets Pitching Records Two-Hitter for 1-0 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Columbia Scores Two in the Ninth, Comes Back to Beat Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Stitch Together 18th Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Vanasco Stellar in Debut But 'Dads Drop Game 2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Holds RiverDogs to Three Hits in 1-0 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Bullpen Ends Streak in 5-4 Loss to Drive - Hagerstown Suns
- Dogs Snag Series Behind Dominant Maciejewski - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis Escapes with Narrow 4-2 Victory over Rome - Rome Braves
- Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 4-2 Victory - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Swanson, Riley to Rehab with Rome Braves - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 21 at Hickory (Game 124) - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Legends Announce 2020 Schedule - Lexington Legends
- Pelletier Homers Twice, Claws Roll 12-2 in Lexington on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Lineup Leads Rome to 14-4 Blowout Win over Kannapolis - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.