Pelletier Homers Twice, Claws Roll 12-2 in Lexington on Wednesday
LEXINGTON, KY - One night after scoring nine times on 18 hits, the BlueClaws pounded out 13 hits and 12 runs in a 12-2 win over Lexington on Wednesday at Whitaker Bank Ballpark. The BlueClaws hit three home runs in the win, two by Ben Pelletier and one by Malvin Matos.
The 10-run win was Lakewood's largest by margin of the season, breaking the previous high of eight set last night.
Lakewood (26-30/55-71) has now won six of their last nine games while out-scoring Lexington (24-34/61-66) 21-3 in the first two games of this series.
The BlueClaws opened the scoring in the second inning on an RBI single by Jonathan Guzmanbefore their seven-run second.
The first three in the third reached base, with Luis Garcia picking up an RBI single. Hunter Stovall followed with a successful safety squeeze to give Lakewood a 2-0 lead.
Ben Pelletier then stepped in and launched a three-run home run over the left field wall, the first of his two home runs in the game. Later in the inning, Malvin Matos hit a two-run home run, his 10th of the season, to cap the seven run inning. The seven runs third was the biggest inning of the season for the BlueClaws.
Lakewood starter Jhordany Mezquita came out after four innings, allowing two runs, a fourth inning home run to Chase Vallot.
Lakewood added two more runs in the fifth, one on an error and another on an RBI single from Carlos De La Cruz.
Pelletier then smashed his second home run of the game in the eighth inning, giving him 12 on the season. He joins Malvin Matos and Cole Stobbe (twice) with two-home run games for Lakewood this season.
Stovall, who had four hits last night, led Lakewood with three today. Pelletier, De La Cruz, and Matos had two apiece.
The teams finish their series on Thursday night at 7:05 pm. RHP Francisco Morales starts for Lakewood.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Parra Fires CG in Losing Effort at Augusta - Asheville Tourists
- Jackets Pitching Records Two-Hitter for 1-0 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Columbia Scores Two in the Ninth, Comes Back to Beat Hickory - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Stitch Together 18th Shutout - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Vanasco Stellar in Debut But 'Dads Drop Game 2 - Hickory Crawdads
- Power Holds RiverDogs to Three Hits in 1-0 Loss - West Virginia Power
- Bullpen Ends Streak in 5-4 Loss to Drive - Hagerstown Suns
- Dogs Snag Series Behind Dominant Maciejewski - Charleston RiverDogs
- Kannapolis Escapes with Narrow 4-2 Victory over Rome - Rome Braves
- Simmons Homers in Kannapolis' 4-2 Victory - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Swanson, Riley to Rehab with Rome Braves - Rome Braves
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 21 at Hickory (Game 124) - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Legends Announce 2020 Schedule - Lexington Legends
- Pelletier Homers Twice, Claws Roll 12-2 in Lexington on Wednesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Game Notes (August 21) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns: Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Lineup Leads Rome to 14-4 Blowout Win over Kannapolis - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.