Silvertips Succumb to Spokane Rally
EVERETT, Wash. - Eli Zummack's shorthanded goal broke a tie game, capping a four-point effort to help the Spokane Chiefs get past the Everett Silvertips, 4-3 on Tuesday night in WHL action in downtown Everett.
Brendan Lee, Cole Fonstad, and Austin Roest (first in his WHL career) each scored for the Silvertips, getting out to a pair of two-goal leads and firing 18 shots in the third period in response to a three-goal rally by Spokane. The series was evened at 1-1 and the Tips closed out the first half of the regular season with a 9-3 (18 points) record, first place in the U.S. Division.
UP NEXT: The Silvertips return to play on Friday at 6:05pm, visiting the second place Seattle Thunderbirds (KRKO/WHL Live) at accesso ShoWare Center. Viewing packages remain on sale at watch.chl.ca. Play-by-play "Voice of the Tips" Mike Benton will have pre-game coverage beginning at 5:30 p.m.
Lee hammered a one-timer to the back of the net, set up on Hunter Campbell's bumped centering pass from the left circle for a 1-0 lead at 8:32 and Fonstad followed up with a beautiful finish and effort for a 2-0 lead with 9:50 left. Refusing to quit on a bouncing puck, he poked it through the Spokane defense and outraced goaltender Mason Beaupit's poke check in the slot, deflecting it into a wide open cage.
Spokane drew to within a goal as Beckman, last season's MVP in the league, got his first of two goals on the night just 31 seconds into the second period. The Tips immediately responded on Roest's first career goal, set up by Anderson, as he received a pass at the right circle and beat Mason Beaupit from off the rush at 1:05 for a 3-1 cushion.
Copeland Fricker responded with his first career goal at 4:41 of the second period to get the Chiefs back to a one-goal deficit.
The Tips came out in the third period firing 18 shots on net and had two high quality looks to add to their total, including a pair of posts that Brendan Lee hit in addition to his five shots on net. But Beckman's second goal, off the rush, tied the game at 2:51 of the third period, and Zummack's steal in the offensive zone and backhanded deke converted Spokane's 4-3 lead with 12:29 left.
3 STARS OF THE GAME
1. Eli Zummack (SPO)
2. Adam Beckman (SPO)
3. Cole Fonstad (EVT)
GAME NOTES: Silvertips scratches included Olen Zellweger and Braden Holt, both departing for the U18 World Championships, and, Brady Van Herk, and Brendan Hunchak ... Fonstad's goal extended his point streak to four straight games ... nine of the last 11 meetings between the Tips and Chiefs have been decided by two goals or less.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2021
- Zummack, Chiefs Do It Again as Spokane Beats Portland 4-3 in Comeback Fashion - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Shutout for First Time this Season; Fall 3-0 to Blades - Swift Current Broncos
- Maier Collects 9th Career Shutout in 3-0 Win over Broncos - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Alumnus Sawchenko Inks ELC with Sharks - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pre Game Report Presented by Imperial Steel - ICE vs Wheat Kings - April 14, 2021 - Winnipeg Ice
- April 14 Preview: Winnipeg ICE vs Brandon Wheat Kings 9 PM - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Preview: Blades at Broncos - Saskatoon Blades
- Americans Fall to Thunderbirds in Seattle - Tri-City Americans
- Mannek to Play 200th WHL Game Tonight - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips Succumb to Spokane Rally - Everett Silvertips
- Game Day Hub: April 14 - Portland Winterhawks
- Raiders Use Big Second Period to Down Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Chiefs Complete Comeback at Everett Tuesday Night - Spokane Chiefs
- Nico Myatovic Scores Two Goals in Debut as T-Birds Beat Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Garrett Pilon Becomes the 20th Silvertip to Play in the National Hockey League
- Silvertips Put Bow on Campaign with 4-1 Victory
- Silvertips Smother Spokane, 5-1
- Goncalves, 'Tips Rally for Shootout Win over Seattle
- Kasper Puutio Signs Two-Year Contract with KalPa Kuopio of the Finnish Elite League