Raiders Use Big Second Period to Down Pats
Regina, SK - The Prince Albert Raiders (6-8-2-1) used a four-goal second period to pick up a 4-2 win over the Regina Pats (6-8-2-1) in the Subway Hub Centre at the Brandt Centre in Regina on Tuesday night.
Those four goals came in less than seven minutes in the middle frame. Tyson Laventure and Logan Linklater led the way with a goal and an assist each. Remy Aquilon and Niall Crocker chipped in a pair of assists as well. Evan Herman and Justin Nachbaur also scored in the win.
The Raiders nearly got on the board off a Pats turnover in their own end. Michael Horon picked off a pass and had some space with which to work. He crept in on goal, but his shot was turned away by Matthew Kieper.
Later, the Raiders skated into the Pats' zone with a three-on-one opportunity. Laventure dropped a pass for Landon Kosior, but the Regina blueliner was unable to connect on the next pass with Crocker to end the chance.
The Raiders finished the first period outshooting the Pats 16-7.
In the second, their work in the offensive end started to pay off on the scoresheet. Laventure opened the scoring 3:26 into the middle frame. Crocker was able to dig the puck out of a scrum along the boards behind the net to Linklater, who found Laventure in the slot. The Lloydminster, AB product wired a shot past Kieper on the blocker side for his second of the season to put the Raiders ahead.
Less than two minutes later, the Raiders doubled their lead. Aquilon fired a shot towards goal from the point with traffic in front of Kieper. Nachbaur got his stick on the shot and redirected it into the back of the net at the 5:15 mark of his sixth goal of the season. Tayem Gislason picked up his first WHL point on the play with the secondary assist.
Herman made it a three-goal game at the 7:39 mark of the second. Aquilon stole the puck from a Pats player in the slot and put a shot over the goal. It bounced off the glass behind the goal to the side of the net where Herman was waiting to deposit the rebound for his sixth goal of the year. The The Pas, MB product now has goals in three consecutive contests.
Midway through the second, the Raiders made it a 4-0 game on Linklater's first WHL goal. Off a rush into the Pats' end, Crocker passed to Laventure, who fanned on his shot. Linklater was crashing towards the goal, picked up the puck, and made a quick move to his forehand to beat Kieper.
In the third, the Raiders held the Pats at bay for the first 15 minutes of the period. With 6:59 to go, Kosior was given a major penalty and a game misconduct for checking to the head.
After the Pats took a penalty shortly after, they broke the shutout while the game was four-on-four. Carter Chorney made a move to the outside and found Logan Nijhoff for the backdoor tap in with 4:11 to play.
Later on the same major power play, the Pats struck again to make it 4-2. Ryker Evans' shot from the point went off a Raider in front and past Max Paddock.
It was as close as the Pats came on the evening. They were whistled for goaltender interference in the final two minutes and the Raiders were able to wind the clock down for the remainder, picking up their second straight win.
Paddock finished the game with 18 saves in the win for the Raiders. Kieper stopped 37 shots in a losing effort for the Pats.
The Raiders hit the ice on Thursday night when they take on the Moose Jaw Warriors. Game time is 8 p.m. Catch the game on WHL Live on CHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 14, 2021
- Zummack, Chiefs Do It Again as Spokane Beats Portland 4-3 in Comeback Fashion - Spokane Chiefs
- Broncos Shutout for First Time this Season; Fall 3-0 to Blades - Swift Current Broncos
- Maier Collects 9th Career Shutout in 3-0 Win over Broncos - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Alumnus Sawchenko Inks ELC with Sharks - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pre Game Report Presented by Imperial Steel - ICE vs Wheat Kings - April 14, 2021 - Winnipeg Ice
- April 14 Preview: Winnipeg ICE vs Brandon Wheat Kings 9 PM - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Preview: Blades at Broncos - Saskatoon Blades
- Americans Fall to Thunderbirds in Seattle - Tri-City Americans
- Mannek to Play 200th WHL Game Tonight - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips Succumb to Spokane Rally - Everett Silvertips
- Game Day Hub: April 14 - Portland Winterhawks
- Raiders Use Big Second Period to Down Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Chiefs Complete Comeback at Everett Tuesday Night - Spokane Chiefs
- Nico Myatovic Scores Two Goals in Debut as T-Birds Beat Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince Albert Raiders Stories
- Raiders Win Wild Finale of Subway Hub Centre in Overtime
- Raiders Fall to ICE in their Second Last Game of the Subway Hub Centre
- Raiders Pick Up Point in Overtime Loss to Wheat Kings
- Raiders to Wear Specialty Jerseys in Support of Cystic Fibrosis Canada
- Raiders Shut Out Blades in Season Series Finale