Silvertips Pull Away from Chiefs with Big Second Period
Spokane, Wash. -- A big second period by the visiting Everett Silvertips helped them pull away against the Spokane Chiefs on Friday night, 6-2 at Spokane Arena. The Chiefs will look to rebound against the Kamloops Blazers on Saturday.
Spokane opened the scoring to take an early 1-0 lead as Post Falls, Idaho native Bear Hughes found the net through traffic from the right wing to earn his 11th goal of the season.
The Silvertips answered with 55 seconds left in the period as Ronan Seeley ripped the puck inside the top-left corner just before a power play expired.
Everett took the lead early in the second, scoring at 3:02 (Wright) and 4:39 (Berezowski) to gain control for good. They added to the lead at 12:03 as Ryan Hofer snuck in a wraparound to make it 4-1.
Spokane cut the deficit to two a minute later when Raegan Wiles made a highlight reel play, taking the puck from the Chiefs' defensive zone through neutral ice before sniping his second of the season past Silvertips goalie Koen MacInnes from the right circle.
That's as close as the Chiefs would get as Everett scored 32 seconds into the third (Huuhtanen) before reaching the final tally at 5:38 (Courtney).
Everett led in shots on goal, 31-20. Spokane finished 6-for-8 on the penalty kill and 0-for-5 on the power play.
The Spokane Chiefs are a member of the U.S. Division of the Western Hockey League, the world's finest development league for junior hockey players. Since 1985 the Chiefs have been a pillar in the Spokane community, offering family-friendly entertainment and a winning tradition which includes: two Memorial Cup Championships in 1991 & 2008, two WHL Championships in 1991 & 2008 and four Western Conference Championships in 1991, 1996, 2000 & 2008. Over 60 alumni have gone on to play in the National Hockey League.
The Chiefs' next home game is Saturday, January 15 versus the Kamloops Blazers. It's the Numerica Piggy Bank Giveaway as the first 3,000 fans through the gates will receive a Spokane Chiefs hockey goal piggy bank courtesy of Numerica Credit Union. Tickets for all regular season games are available online at spokanechiefs.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 15, 2022
- Watterodt Nets First Career Goal, Blades Beat Broncos 4-1 - Saskatoon Blades
- Warriors Drop Hard Fought Game against WHL-Leading ICE - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Wheat Kings Drop Matinee Affair in Edmonton - Brandon Wheat Kings
- ICE Top Moose Jaw in Lambos' Return - Winnipeg Ice
- WHL Referee Brett Iverson Receives WHL Milestone Award - WHL
- Guenther Propels Oil Kings to Win over Wheaties - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Hitmen Defeat Raiders 4-1 - Calgary Hitmen
- Americans Look to Carry Momentum to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Raiders Drop Saturday Afternoon Game in Calgary - Prince Albert Raiders
- Game Day Hub: Jan 15 vs TC - Portland Winterhawks
- Gameday Preview - January 15 vs Lethbridge - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Chiefs Host Kamloops Blazers in First Match-Up of the Season - Spokane Chiefs
- Wheat Kings Meet Oil Kings in Mid-Day Affair - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day: Blades Host Broncos in Western Night - Saskatoon Blades
- Game 35 - ICE at Moose Jaw - Winnipeg Ice
- Ams Score 5 Straight to Earn Comeback Victory over Blazers - Tri-City Americans
- Alberta Boys Lift BWK to Win in Red Deer - Brandon Wheat Kings
- T-Birds Earn Point in First Game of 2022 - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Berezowski, Huuhtanen Extend Goal Streaks in 6-2 Win at Spokane - Everett Silvertips
- Cougars End Skid with OT Victory - Prince George Cougars
- Rockets Open Weekend by Topping Royals - Kelowna Rockets
- Rebels Show Signs of Lengthy Layoff in Loss to Wheat Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Resilient in 6-4 Loss to Rockets - Victoria Royals
- Broncos Strong Push Falls Short against Blades - Swift Current Broncos
- Tigers Fall 6-2 in Moose Jaw - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Robins Hat-Trick Leads Blades to Victory in Swift Current - Saskatoon Blades
- Portland Tops Seattle 4-3 in OT, Wins Sixth Straight Game - Portland Winterhawks
- Silvertips Pull Away from Chiefs with Big Second Period - Spokane Chiefs
- Raiders Open Alberta Road Trip with Win in Lethbridge - Prince Albert Raiders
- Baco's Hat Trick Powers Warriors over Tigers on Friday - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Harrington Headlines Chiefs' 2007 Class
- Chiefs Select Forward Harrington with First Round Pick in 2022 WHL Prospects Draft
- Chiefs Select Forward Hafele, Goaltender Denes in WHL U.S. Priority Draft
- Chiefs Prepare for U.S. Priority Draft and WHL Prospects Draft
- Chiefs Announce 2021-22 Team Awards