Sharp Blasts First Homer of Season in Lexington
COLUMBIA, SC - Brian Sharp blasted the first Columbia home run of the year but the Fireflies dropped the opener to Lexington, 14-3. Sharp finished with a pair of hits, his first multi-hit game of the year.
Columbia (3-4) scored first in the opening inning but it was all Legends after that point. Lexington (4-3) bashed 11 extra-base hits (the most surrendered in a Fireflies game) and scored at least a run in every frame from the third to the eighth.
The Fireflies tallied four extra-base hits as well, so 15 of the game's 21 total hits were of the extra-base variety.
Columbia starter Jose Butto (L, 0-2) was dealt the loss and one-time University of Kentucky pitcher Zach Haake (1-1) picked up the win. He allowed just one hit over five innings.
Top 1: After walking, reaching second on a passed ball and third on a balk, Anthony Dirocie scores on a ground out (Chandler Avant, RBI) - COL 1, LEX 0
Bottom 1: Nathan Eaton drives in Michael Gigliotti with a double - COL 1, LEX 1
Bottom 3: Eric Cole and Freddy Fermin rip back-to-back run-scoring doubles. LEX 3, COL 1
Bottom 4: RBI double for Rubendy Jaquez ... Jaquez later scores from third on a double steal attempt ... Nathan Eaton drives an RBI triple - LEX 6, COL 1
Top 5: Brian Sharp drills first home run of the season - LEX 6, COL 2
Bottom 5: Chase Vallot triples, scores Fermin ... Jeison Guzman knocks in Vallot with a double - LEX 8, COL 2
Bottom 6: Fermin scores Gigliotti with a single - LEX 9, COL 2
Bottom 7: Guzman grounds out, but scores Juan Carlos Negret from third - LEX 10, COL 2
Top 8: Zach Rheams doubles and then scores on a two-bagger from Dirocie - LEX 10, COL 3
Bottom 8: Gigliotti scores on a wild pitch ... Fermin plates a run on a fielder's choice ... Vallot bashes two-run homer - LEX 14, COL 3
Columbia and Lexington are back in action on Friday at 7:05 p.m. The expected starters: RHP Jaison Vilera (0-0, 3.60) Columbia ... LHP Kyle Bubic (0-0, 7.20) Lexington.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 11, 2019
- Inman Powers West Virginia Past Augusta in Home Opener - West Virginia Power
- Crowd of 8,000-Plus Pours into Riley Park for Home Opener as Grasshoppers Shutout RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Drop Road Opener to Braves in Extras - Greenville Drive
- Knight Shines, Turchin Goes Yard as 'Birds Win Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Swat Fireflies with 14-3 Victory in Game One - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Tie Strikeout Mark in Win over Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Augusta Shutout for the 2nd Time in 2019 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sharp Blasts First Homer of Season in Lexington - Columbia Fireflies
- Five-Run First Launches Suns to Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Tourists Drop Second Straight in Road Trip Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 11 at Lexington (Game 7) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 11) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Offense Erupts in 9-8 Win over Greenville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Maciver Homers in Third Straight Game But T's Come up Short - Asheville Tourists
- Drive Outslugged by GreenJackets on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbia Fireflies Stories
- Fireflies 2020 Single Game Tickets on Sale February 20
- Fireflies Announce Full 2020 Promotional Schedule
- John Kocsis Takes the Mic as New 'Voice of the Fireflies'
- Fireflies to Host Second Job Fair February 8
- Fireflies Now Accepting Nominations for Fourth Annual Military Hero Card Set