Five-Run First Launches Suns to Win
HAGERSTOWN, MD - The Hagerstown Suns used a five-run first inning to send the crowd home happy in the home opener with an 8-2 victory over the Asheville Tourists Thursday night at Municipal Stadium.
Hagerstown's (3-5) bats were hot early, putting up five runs on four hits. Gage Canning and Israel Pinedahit back-to-back singles. Jacob Rhinesmith walked to load the bags with Suns. Asheville's starter, Shelby Lackey (L, 0-1) missed the mark with Gilbert Lara at the plate. Lackey issued a bases-loaded walk to bring in the Sun's first run of the night. Soon after, KJ Harrison kept his bat hot with a two-run double to make it 3-1 Hagerstown. Pablo O'Connor brought in a run on a groundout and Kyle Marinconz finished off the busy inning with an RBI double for a 5-1 advantage.
Asheville struck first in the top of the first first. Willie MacIver brought home Terrin Vavra with a sac fly following a Grant Lavigne single. Vavra launched a double to start.
Zeroes on the board followed until the sixth when the Suns found the stroke again. Following a Harrison single, Marinconz hit his second double of the evening for the sixth run of the night. Harrison reached third on a groundout and brought home by Cody Wilson . Wilson hit a line drive right to Tourist reliever PJ Poulin . Poulin deflected it but the deflection gave Harrison plenty of time to score for run number seven.
Both clubs scored runs in the eighth frame. Asheville scored one a MacIver double while Hagerstown touched home plate with a sac-fly by Marinconz.
Carson Teel (W, 1-1) earned the win in relief with innings of work. Jake Irvin pitched 4.2 innings of one-run ball in the no decision with three strikeouts.
The Suns continue their series with the Asheville Tourists tomorrow. RHP Francis Peguero (0-0, 0.00 ERA) will make his second start of the year for the Suns. LHP Alfredo Garcia (0-1, 11.57 ERA) gets the nod for the Tourists. First pitch is at 6:05 pm with gates opening at 5:05 pm. Tomorrow, the first 500 fans through the gates of Municipal Stadium will receive a Suns magnet schedule. For tickets visit HagerstownSuns.com or call (301) 791-6066.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 11, 2019
- Inman Powers West Virginia Past Augusta in Home Opener - West Virginia Power
- Crowd of 8,000-Plus Pours into Riley Park for Home Opener as Grasshoppers Shutout RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Drop Road Opener to Braves in Extras - Greenville Drive
- Knight Shines, Turchin Goes Yard as 'Birds Win Opener - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Swat Fireflies with 14-3 Victory in Game One - Lexington Legends
- 'Dads Tie Strikeout Mark in Win over Kannapolis - Hickory Crawdads
- Augusta Shutout for the 2nd Time in 2019 - Augusta GreenJackets
- Sharp Blasts First Homer of Season in Lexington - Columbia Fireflies
- Five-Run First Launches Suns to Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Tourists Drop Second Straight in Road Trip Opener - Asheville Tourists
- Fireflies Game Notes: April 11 at Lexington (Game 7) - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 11) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Offense Erupts in 9-8 Win over Greenville - Augusta GreenJackets
- Maciver Homers in Third Straight Game But T's Come up Short - Asheville Tourists
- Drive Outslugged by GreenJackets on Wednesday - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.