Sea Dogs Drop Heartbreaking Home Opener 4-2 to Trenton Thunder
Portland, Maine- The Portland Sea Dogs kicked off their 2010 home slate against the Trenton Thunder (Yankees), and, to the disappointment of the 5,654 on hand, lost in extra innings 4-2.
Trenton Left Fielder Damon Sublett was the hero for the Thunder as he drove a 1-1 Ryne Lawson (0-1) delivery to center field for a 2-Run Home Run at the top of the 11th inning. This gave Trenton an insurmountable 4-2 lead.
Kyle Weiland (ND) picked up the start for the Sea Dogs. Weiland kept the Dogs' chances alive, pitching 5 solid innings of 4 hit baseball. He gave up 2 runs on those four hits, as well as three free passes. The first and second innings were by far Weiland's best, gaining 5 of his 6 strikeouts in the first two frames of the game.
Andrew Dobies came in to relive Weiland. Dobies went two innings in his relief effort, giving up one hit and picking up 3 strikeouts. His one rough patch happened at the top of the 7th. After the inning kicked off with a Kevin Smith single to center, Smith advanced to second after a balk from Dobies. With a runner in scoring position, Dobies got to work, picking up a flyout sandwiched between two strikeouts. Bryce Cox came in after Dobies night was over, pitching three scoreless. Lawson gave up four hits, including the game-winning shot to Sublett in his one inning of work.
Eric Wordekemper (1-0) picked up the win for Trenton. He went two scoreless innings in order to secure the victory. Trenton starter Jeremy Bleich (ND) tossed six innings, giving up two hits and two runs.
The series continues against Trenton tomorrow as right hander Stephen Fife (0-0, 3.60 ERA) takes on David Phelps (1-0, 1.59 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 pm at Hadlock Field. The game can also be heard on 1490am WBAE, the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs Radio Network. Pre-game kicks off at 5:40pm.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 15, 2010
- Baysox Blast Aeros, 9-1 - Bowie Baysox
- Sublett's Homer Lifts Thunder in 11 Innings - Trenton Thunder
- Evans Leads Offense, B-Mets Past Fisher Cats 7-6 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Altoona Bats Come Alive In 13-5 Win Over Erie - Altoona Curve
- Capacity Crowd Watches Squirrels Capture Opener, 3-0 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Aeros Offense Goes Silent in Aeros Opener - Akron RubberDucks
- Emaus goes 3-for-3 with 2 RBI in 7-6 loss to Mets - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Drop Heartbreaking Home Opener 4-2 to Trenton Thunder - Portland Sea Dogs
- Richmond Flying Squirrels Game Notes - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Thunder Attendance Up Early - Trenton Thunder
- Armando Gabino Heads Up - Bowie Baysox
- Pair of Righties Head to Squirrels - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.