San Jose Speeds by Gulls
The Gulls began the month of December with a 5-3 defeat to the San Jose Sharks tonight at SAP Center.
Alex Dostie scored his first goal of the season at 2:17 of the third period. The goal marked his first since Feb. 25, 2018 at Stockton, a span of 27 games.
Chase De Leo netted his fifth goal just 13 seconds later at 2:30 of the third period. De Leo also earned an assist to mark his fourth multi-point game of the season. Joseph Blandisi recorded two assists (0-2=2) for the second time this season and has now earned eight points in his last eight games (2-6=8).
Troy Terry notched his eighth goal with 1:18 remaining in regulation to move into a tie for the team lead in points (8-9=17).
Ben Thomson, Deven Sideroff and Luke Schenn each earned assists.
Jared Coreau stopped 32-of-36 shots in the setback.
The Gulls will return to San Diego to face the Tucson Roadrunners on Wednesday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m.
San Diego Gulls
On playing with Alex Dostie and Ben Thomson
Coming into the game, we knew they were a speedy team. They don't hit a lot, they aren't that physical. We felt that out there. Compliments to my line mates, we always kept our feet moving tonight and that makes the game a lot easier when we're always flying down the walls together or going through the middle and forechecking.
On his game
Coming into this year, it's my second year, it makes it a lot easier confidence-wise. When my line mates are going like that, it makes me go and makes the game a lot easier.
Head Coach Dallas Eakins
On the game
Not good. Really disappointing. I thought we were going to gain great, great momentum coming off our last game where we had such a gritty, high-energy performance. We came in here and we were listless and soft and slow through the first two periods.
On Dostie, Sideroff and Thomson
I thought they were out best line. I thought they were trying to do the things that we are asking of them. They played a very simple game, that's the kind of game you want to play. Complicating it turns it into a slow game. They kept things simple and were able to generate a little bit for us. But as a group that's unacceptable.
On Jared Coreau
I said after the first, 'We should all be down on our knees thanking Rozie (Jared Coreau).' The game should have been four or five nothing. He had kept us in it to keep it close. We were able to tie it up and you're hoping to keep it rolling. I don't think we had a shot on net for probably seven, eight minutes after we had tied it up. Back to the drawing board, we'll get right back at it tomorrow.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2018
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Megan Recalled, Sadowy Reassigned - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Recall Overhardt from Atlanta - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Sets Tone for Busy December - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Moose Sign Austin Carroll - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Defender Ryan Sproul to AHL Contract - Hershey Bears
- Streaking Griffins Face Rampage, IceHogs and Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Return G Michael Hutchinson to Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Kings Assign Sheldon Rempal to Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose to Host Teddy Bear Toss Game Presented by Red River Co-Op - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Phantoms Loan F Krushelnyski to Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gionta Returned to Bridgeport, Gibson Recalled by the Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Monsters for the First Time in Nearly a Decade - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Moose Sign Mingo, Release Glover - Manitoba Moose
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 9 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Top Gulls, Earn Fifth Home Win in a Row - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Speeds by Gulls - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.