Gionta Returned to Bridgeport, Gibson Recalled by the Islanders
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The New York Islanders announced Tuesday that forward Stephen Gionta has been returned on loan to the team's American Hockey League affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. In addition, goaltender Christopher Gibson has been recalled by the Islanders.
Gionta, 35, played five games with the Islanders this season, including his 300th NHL contest on Nov. 21 against the New York Rangers. He also has one assist in three games with the Sound Tigers this season after he played 30 games for the club in 2017-18. The Rochester, N.Y. native scored five points (two goals, three assists) with Bridgeport last year.
Since making his NHL debut in 2010, Gionta has posted 56 points (16 goals, 40 assists) in 301 regular season games, with the New Jersey Devils and Islanders. Gionta added seven points (three goals, four assists) in 24 Stanley Cup Playoff games during the Devils post-season appearance in 2011-12, where they reached the Stanley Cup Final.
Prior to his NHL career, Gionta spent five seasons in the AHL with the Lowell Devils and Albany River Rats, collecting 146 points (63 goals, 83 assists) in 374 games. While in Albany, Gionta set a club record with 371 games played, ranked fourth all-time in goals and third in assists and points.
Gionta played four seasons at Boston College, where he scored 90 points (33 goals, 57 assists) in 151 games. While at Boston College, Gionta helped the Eagles advance to two NCAA Frozen Four Tournaments, including an appearance in the 2006 National Championship game. He helped the Eagles win three straight regular-season Hockey East Championships (2003, 2004, 2005), adding the playoff conference championship during his junior season (2005).
Gibson, 25, played 14 games with the Sound Tigers this season, going 7-3-3 with a 3.14 goals-against-average and .885 save percentage. He was 4-0-3 in his last seven starts and recorded a 1.94 goals-against-average and .933 save percentage over his last four games, specifically.
Next Time Out: The Sound Tigers face the Hartford Wolf Pack tomorrow at 7 p.m. when they return to Webster Bank Arena. Take advantage of a "3-2-1" concessional special throughout the evening, featuring $1 hot dogs, $2 boxes of popcorn, and $3 bottled Pepsi products. Fans can also follow all of the live action via the Sound Tigers Radio Network and AHLTV , beginning with the pre-game show at 6:45 p.m.
Packed Promotional Lineup: The Sound Tigers will boast one of their most extensive and wide-ranging promotional schedules ever for the 2018-19 season. The fan-friendly calendar includes the return of popular themes like Hockey and Hops (Mar. 17), Military Appreciation (Jan. 12), Star Wars Night (Jan. 19) and Princess Night (Mar. 30). Regional hockey fans will be elated for the addition of Hockey Weekend in Connecticut (Feb. 23-24), while another new headliner includes Holiday Gift Weekend (Dec. 15-16). View the full 2018-19 promotional schedule .
For additional details or to reserve a group outing for any giveaway or theme night, please call the Sound Tigers' front office at (203) 345-2300 ext 7.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2018
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Megan Recalled, Sadowy Reassigned - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Recall Overhardt from Atlanta - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Sets Tone for Busy December - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Moose Sign Austin Carroll - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Defender Ryan Sproul to AHL Contract - Hershey Bears
- Streaking Griffins Face Rampage, IceHogs and Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Return G Michael Hutchinson to Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Kings Assign Sheldon Rempal to Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose to Host Teddy Bear Toss Game Presented by Red River Co-Op - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Phantoms Loan F Krushelnyski to Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gionta Returned to Bridgeport, Gibson Recalled by the Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Monsters for the First Time in Nearly a Decade - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Moose Sign Mingo, Release Glover - Manitoba Moose
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 9 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Top Gulls, Earn Fifth Home Win in a Row - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Speeds by Gulls - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- Three-goal second period guides Bridgeport to convincing win against Syracuse
- Bridgeport sweeps season series against Belleville and pushes its point streak at home to nine games
- Sound Tigers Look to Continue Winning Ways at Home
- Sound Tigers Sign Hutton to Amateur Tryout Agreement
- Bridgeport extends point streak at home to eight games in overtime loss to Toronto on Wednesday