Bears Sign Defender Ryan Sproul to AHL Contract
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears announced today that the club has signed defenseman Ryan Sproul to an American Hockey League contract. He will wear #5 with the Chocolate and White.
Sproul, 25, brings extensive experience to Hershey's blue line. The 6-foot-4, 211-pound defender is a veteran of 276 career AHL games, and also skated in 16 NHL games with the New York Rangers last season, scoring five points. The offensive-minded defender has split time with the Toronto Marlies and Laval Rocket this season, scoring six points (one goal, five assists) in 12 total games.
The Mississauga, Ontario native collected 29 points (11 goals, 18 assists) over 49 games with Grand Rapids and Hartford last season. His most productive season came in 2015-16 with Grand Rapids when he compiled 35 points (12 goals, 23 assists) in 75 games for the Griffins. That season, seven of his goals came on the power play, tying him for second on the club, and good for fourth in the AHL among defenders.
Sproul was a member of the AHL's All-Rookie Team in 2013-14. In total, he has scored 126 points (40 goals, 86 assists) in his AHL career. He has also appeared in 44 NHL games with Detroit and the New York Rangers, collecting 12 points (two goals, 10 assists).
Additionally, the Bears announced today that the club has released forward Derek Hulak from his professional tryout agreement. Hulak, 29, had three points (two goals, one assist) in eight games with Hershey.
The Bears visit Allentown on Friday to battle the Phantoms at 7:05 p.m. before returning to the Giant Center Saturday evening. That night the Chocolate and White host Hartford at 7 p.m. for Advance Auto Parts Car Flag Night (first 5,000) and Healthcare Night. Ticket information is available at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 4, 2018
- Phantoms Weekly - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Megan Recalled, Sadowy Reassigned - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Admirals Recall Overhardt from Atlanta - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Weekly: Teddy Bear Toss Sets Tone for Busy December - Hershey Bears
- P-Bruins Week in Review - Providence Bruins
- Moose Sign Austin Carroll - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Sign Defender Ryan Sproul to AHL Contract - Hershey Bears
- Streaking Griffins Face Rampage, IceHogs and Wild - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Panthers Return G Michael Hutchinson to Springfield - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Kings Assign Sheldon Rempal to Reign - Ontario Reign
- Moose to Host Teddy Bear Toss Game Presented by Red River Co-Op - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Phantoms Loan F Krushelnyski to Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gionta Returned to Bridgeport, Gibson Recalled by the Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Weekly: Penguins to Host Monsters for the First Time in Nearly a Decade - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Moose Sign Mingo, Release Glover - Manitoba Moose
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 9 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barracuda Top Gulls, Earn Fifth Home Win in a Row - San Jose Barracuda
- San Jose Speeds by Gulls - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Capitals Re-Assign Goaltender Ilya Samsonov to Hershey
- Vanecek Shuts out Bridgeport, Series Tied 1-1
- Capitals Recall Goaltender Ilya Samsonov from Hershey
- Game Preview: Bears at Sound Tigers, 7 p.m. - Atlantic Division Semifinals Game 2
- Bears Drop Game 1 in Double Overtime to Sound Tigers