San Antonio FC Faces Tough Road Test Away to Reno 1868 FC
SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio FC (7-9-6) will travel to Reno 1868 FC (13-5-5) at Toyota Field on Saturday, August 10 in what is the second and final regular season match between the two clubs. SAFC will look to earn a tough road result against a Reno side that sits in second place and has only lost one home match all season.
SAFC travels to the Western part of the country following a 2-3 home loss to Sacramento Republic FC, marking just their second home loss of the season and 10th overall in 60 home matches since the club's inception in 2016. Despite the loss, San Antonio FC completed a strong second half in the match as they nearly completed the three-goal comeback after conceding three in the first half at home for the first time since July 23, 2016 against LA Galaxy II.
The San Antonio FC defense continues to improve as the season progresses with goalkeeper Matthew Cardone and defender Eby Ackon continuing to put in strong performances alongside their defensive teammates. Cardone currently ranks second in saves (63), first in catches (26) and is tied for second in clearances (20) in the Western Conference. The San Antonio native is the lone goalkeeper in the top 20 of the Western Conference to record at least 20 catches and 20 clearances on the season so far. In addition, Ackon leads all Western Conference players with 200 duels won, while he also leads SAFC in passes (1,135), duels (298), aerial duels (101) and interceptions (31).
Reno 1868 FC is 4-1-0 in their last five matches, outscoring their opponents 11-8 over that span. The club is 7-1-3 at Greater Nevada Field this season, and the club hasn't lost at home since June 18 against the Western Conference leading Phoenix Rising FC. Reno forward Corey Hertzog is fresh off of winning the USL Championship Player of the Month award after he scored four goals in July, bringing his season total to 11 which ranks fifth best in the league.
SAFC enters the road trip still looking for their first win at Greater Nevada Field in what will be their third match there. San Antonio was beaten in both previous meetings between the two clubs in Nevada. Overall, SAFC is 2-3-0 against Reno with the second win coming in June of this year after the Alamo City club earned its largest comeback win of the season in a 3-2 victory over 1868 FC at Toyota Field. San Antonio's biggest win against Reno all-time came on April 15, 2017 when SAFC impressed to a 4-0 win at Toyota Field.
After the match in Reno, San Antonio FC will return home for 'Our Future' night on August 17 against RGV FC at Toyota Field at 7:30 p.m. The night will celebrate the future of professional soccer in our city by recognizing players from the SAFC Pro Academy and Elite Training Program. Tickets can be purchased by visiting SanAntonioFC.com or by calling or texting 210-444-5657.
USL Championship Game 23 - San Antonio FC at Reno 1868 FC:
Date: Saturday, Aug. 10, 2019
Kickoff: 9:30 p.m. CT
Stadium: Greater Nevada Field
San Antonio FC: 7-9-6 (12th, 27 pts)
Reno 1868 FC:: 13-5-5, (2nd, 44 pts)
All-time Series: San Antonio FC is 2-3-0 overall against Reno in their history, but the club has yet to win a match at Greater Nevada Field. SAFC earned all three points in the reverse fixture this season, defeating Reno in a comeback 3-2 win in June
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 9, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Earns 2-1 Win in Front of Home Crowd at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Loudoun United Draw 3-3 against Charlotte in Segra Field Opener - Loudoun United FC
- Independence Draw Loudoun in Six Goal Shootout - Charlotte Independence
- 1868 FC Set to Host San Antonio FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Orange County SC Returns to League Play against Tacoma Defiance - Orange County SC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Hosts North Carolina FC Tomorrow Night at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Birmingham Legion FC
- North Carolina Hits the Road for Match at Memphis 901 FC on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Set to Host Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels for Match against Nashville Sc - Philadelphia Union II
- Tough Test Awaits as NYRB2 Come to Town - Hartford Athletic
- Energy FC Takes on Third Place Fresno FC Tomorrow Night at Taft Stadium - OKC Energy FC
- Independence Sign Former Mexican U-23 Midfielder - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Faces Tough Road Test Away to Reno 1868 FC - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Toros Look to Elevate Past Colorado Springs FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Louisville City Welcomes Atlanta United 2 Sunday - Louisville City FC
- Loudoun United Acquire Defenders Shane Wiedt and Robby Dambrot - Loudoun United FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Wraps up Busy Week with Clash against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC Completes Unbeaten Home Record in Regular Season with 2-0 Win over OKC
- Match Notes, SAFC vs. OKC Energy FC 9.19.20
- San Antonio FC Adds Defender Liam Doyle and Midfielder Ethan Bryant to Roster
- San Antonio FC Schedule Update
- San Antonio FC Clinches 2020 Playoff Spot with 3-2 Win over Austin