Match Preview: Toros Look to Elevate Past Colorado Springs FC
COLORADO SPRINGS - Rio Grande Valley FC (6-11-5, 23 pts.) travels to the elevation to take on Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (6-14-3, 21 pts.) in their own home. The road matchup is set to kick off at 7:00 P.M. CST at Weidner Field on ESPN+.
As the season starts its latter portion, both teams are in desperate need of wins wherever they may come. Colorado currently trails the Toros in the standings by two points, placing them in the sixteenth spot.
On the road, RGV FC has not been at their best as they chase a three-point result this Saturday. The Toros will head into the match with a 5-game losing streak on the road.
The Switchbacks have given up 40 total goals to their opponents on the season, scoring exact-ly half that amount, 20. Their seemingly low goal scoring ability thus far may impact the way in which the Toros prepare for this match. Perhaps an emphasis on attacking and looking to unbalance the Colorado defense early and often is a good game plan this time around.
In the last meeting between the sides, on June 15, RGV FC was able to lock in a clean sheet, 3-0 victory at home. With the amount of created chances on the rise for Gerson Echeverry's side there is hopes of netting goals if they are disciplined. "Just one more goal than them will be ideal. We just need to minimize the giving up of bad goals, make sure that they earn anything they get, and we are not giving them easy looks into our goal", said Echeverry.
Switchbacks FC last saw action this past Wednesday when they faced Portland Timbers II at Weidner Field, that match ended in a 2-2 draw. Jordan Burt has been the dynamic scorer for Colorado Springs with five total goals on the season. Teammate Ismaila Jome has been making it happen on the attack with 36 created chances for the attacking third game of the Switchbacks.
A reliable defensive piece for RGV FC is Andrew Samuels who has shown some solid work in the back field, he provided his input on the upcoming match; "The mindset is three points and nothing less. We know that we need that if we are going to stay in this playoff run. We are going there to hopefully get a win and play our best, just like we did against Reno 1868 FC, put them on the back foot and hopefully the [goals] fall for us this time."
If the Toros execute on all of their chances, you can rely on a similar result as last time, especially in the backfield. Discipline and determination will be the motto for both sides in this match.
Updates on the match will be provided via Twitter at @RGVFC or by following #SomosToros. To see more matchday information, visit www.rgvfc.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 9, 2019
- Tacoma Defiance Earns 2-1 Win in Front of Home Crowd at Cheney Stadium - Tacoma Defiance
- Loudoun United Draw 3-3 against Charlotte in Segra Field Opener - Loudoun United FC
- Independence Draw Loudoun in Six Goal Shootout - Charlotte Independence
- 1868 FC Set to Host San Antonio FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Orange County SC Returns to League Play against Tacoma Defiance - Orange County SC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
- Memphis 901 FC Hosts North Carolina FC Tomorrow Night at AutoZone Park - Memphis 901 FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Birmingham Legion FC
- North Carolina Hits the Road for Match at Memphis 901 FC on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Set to Host Tulsa Roughnecks FC on Saturday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels for Match against Nashville Sc - Philadelphia Union II
- Tough Test Awaits as NYRB2 Come to Town - Hartford Athletic
- Energy FC Takes on Third Place Fresno FC Tomorrow Night at Taft Stadium - OKC Energy FC
- Independence Sign Former Mexican U-23 Midfielder - Charlotte Independence
- San Antonio FC Faces Tough Road Test Away to Reno 1868 FC - San Antonio FC
- Match Preview: Toros Look to Elevate Past Colorado Springs FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Louisville City Welcomes Atlanta United 2 Sunday - Louisville City FC
- Loudoun United Acquire Defenders Shane Wiedt and Robby Dambrot - Loudoun United FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Wraps up Busy Week with Clash against Bethlehem Steel FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Toros Fans Bring the Energy as RGV FC Defeat OKC 4-2 at Home
- Preview: RGV FC Hosts Breast Cancer Awareness Match on Saturday Night against the Energy
- Toros Earn First Win of the 2020 Season against the Bold
- RGV FC Hosts Austin Bold for a Midweek Match