Saltdogs Enjoy Encouraging Lincoln Kids to Read
LINCOLN -- During the recent home stand, several Saltdogs players and coaches took time to engage with the Lincoln community at local libraries where they read to the youth and signed autographs.
Library readings took place at the Salvation Army, Crete Public Library, Bess D. Walt Library and the South Branch Library.
"It's just a fun thing to do, some of the kids don't get to come out to games, so when we come read to them they're pretty happy to see us," Pitcher Tommy Palica said. "It's good thing to encourage them to start reading instead of playing video games and things like that. It's just an overall fun experience and the kids always seem to get a kick out of it."
The 'Dog's players and coaches hope that their platform can be used to encourage youth to stay active and keep reading. They visit dozens of Lincoln-area libraries each year.
"It's great just to be able to associate with our fans. It's all about giving back, especially in a town like Lincoln that's a real family-oriented town," Manager Chris Miyake said. "So, for us, it's just a little way that we can do something for the community. Reading a story to kids is always a lot of fun, and to get the responses and smiles from the kids is what makes it special for us."
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 20, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Sheldon Strong, 'Dogs Win Nail Biter on Play at Plate - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Rally In Ninth Falls Short - El Paso Diablos
- Garceau Stymies Grand Prairie - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Snap One AirHogs Streak, Extend Another - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Even Out the Series - Laredo Lemurs
- Wingnuts Fall to RedHawks - Wichita Wingnuts
- Two Homers Power Pheasants over Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Tsamis Wins 500th as Saints Manager with Team's Sixth Straight, 7-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Fish Clipped by Pheasants, Series Even - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Saturday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Diablos Announce July 20-22 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Saltdogs Enjoy Encouraging Lincoln Kids to Read - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Matt Nevarez Purchased by Rays - Wichita Wingnuts
- Blue Jays Sign Pheasants Closer Evans - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pheasants Lose Late Lead to Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Power Past Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.