T-Bones Snap One AirHogs Streak, Extend Another
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - After a long road trip ended with seven straight losses, the Grand Prairie AirHogs returned home to QuikTrip Park, where they had won 17 straight games. Unfortunately for them, they faced the one team that had beaten them at home this year - the Kansas City T-Bones - who beat the AirHogs again 4-1 on Friday to snap their home winning streak while extending the overall losing run to eight.
Kansas City (33-27) scored an unearned run in the second on a two-out, two-strike single by Justin Bass, and made it 2-0 on a walk and two hits to start the third. Grand Prairie starter John Brownell (7-3) worked around a leadoff double in the third, but four straight hits to start the fourth made it 4-0.
Brownell retired the final nine men he faced, Jakob Cunningham worked around a walk in the eighth and debutant Adam Miller pitched a perfect ninth, but the AirHogs (37-22) could not figure out how to rally against T-Bones starter Shaun Garceau (6-1) or two relievers.
Garceau did not allow more than one baserunner in any of his seven frames, giving up two singles and four walks, getting a strike-him-out, throw-him-out double play in the first and starting a 1-6-3 double play in the seventh.
Grand Prairie got a run on Brian Myrow's two-out single in the eighth, but Andres Rodriguez grounded out against Brad Furnish representing the tying run.
In the ninth, Trent Lockwood walked against closer Mike Mehlich to begin the frame, but Chris McMurray popped out at the end of a long at-bat, and after Greg Porter singled, Bryan Frichter hit into a game-ending 4-6-3 double play, earning Mehlich his seventh save of the season.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 20, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Sheldon Strong, 'Dogs Win Nail Biter on Play at Plate - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Rally In Ninth Falls Short - El Paso Diablos
- Garceau Stymies Grand Prairie - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Snap One AirHogs Streak, Extend Another - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Even Out the Series - Laredo Lemurs
- Wingnuts Fall to RedHawks - Wichita Wingnuts
- Two Homers Power Pheasants over Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Tsamis Wins 500th as Saints Manager with Team's Sixth Straight, 7-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Fish Clipped by Pheasants, Series Even - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Saturday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Diablos Announce July 20-22 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Saltdogs Enjoy Encouraging Lincoln Kids to Read - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Matt Nevarez Purchased by Rays - Wichita Wingnuts
- Blue Jays Sign Pheasants Closer Evans - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pheasants Lose Late Lead to Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Power Past Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs