Fish Clipped by Pheasants, Series Even
Unlike last night, the Winnipeg Goldeyes couldn't stage a late-game comeback.
The Goldeyes lost 7-4 to the Sioux Falls Pheasants Friday night before 2,714 fans at Sioux Falls Stadium.
With the loss, the four-game series is even at a win apiece and the Goldeyes fall one and a half games back of the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks for first place in the North Division.
The Goldeyes started the scoring with a run in the first inning, but ultimately trailed for much of the game.
After Yurendell de Caster drove in Price Kendall in the top of the first inning, the Pheasants got a two-run home run from Trevor Lawhorn to take a 2-1 lead.
Sioux Falls added another run in the second inning, but Winnipeg responded in the fourth inning to tie the game 3-3. Josh Mazzola doubled in Chris Roberson and then scored on a Kyle Day single.
That's the closest Winnipeg would get to regaining the lead though, as Cory Morales hit a two-run homer in the sixth inning to put Sioux Falls back up 6-4.
Despite a run in the eighth, the Goldeyes couldn't complete the comeback. Sioux Falls added two more runs in the bottom of the eighth.
De Caster went three-for-three for the second straight game and is a perfect six-for-six in the series.
Sioux Falls starter Pete Gehle tossed seven and a third innings to get the win, while Kyle Mertins earned the save. Goldeyes starter Chris Salamida allowed four runs over five and a third innings, but takes his fourth loss of the season.
The third game of the series goes tomorrow night in Sioux Falls. Rookie southpaw Rich Hawkins (3-1, 5.28) will toe the slab for the Goldeyes, while the Pheasants are expected to start Mark Michael (5-5, 5.84).
Around the Association on TSN 1290 with Paul Edmonds begins at 4:30 p.m. Game time is 6:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 20, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Sheldon Strong, 'Dogs Win Nail Biter on Play at Plate - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Rally In Ninth Falls Short - El Paso Diablos
- Garceau Stymies Grand Prairie - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Snap One AirHogs Streak, Extend Another - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Even Out the Series - Laredo Lemurs
- Wingnuts Fall to RedHawks - Wichita Wingnuts
- Two Homers Power Pheasants over Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Tsamis Wins 500th as Saints Manager with Team's Sixth Straight, 7-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Fish Clipped by Pheasants, Series Even - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Saturday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Diablos Announce July 20-22 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Saltdogs Enjoy Encouraging Lincoln Kids to Read - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Matt Nevarez Purchased by Rays - Wichita Wingnuts
- Blue Jays Sign Pheasants Closer Evans - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pheasants Lose Late Lead to Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Power Past Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.