Blue Jays Sign Pheasants Closer Evans
SIOUX FALLS -The Toronto Blue Jays have purchased the contract of Sioux Falls Pheasants' reliever Cody Evans, Pheasants manager Steve Shirley announced on Thursday night.
The right-handed closer will report to the Blue Jays' high-A affiliate, the Dunedin Blue Jays, of the Florida State League.
Evans, 28, dominated in 22 appearances with the Pheasants this year. He was 1-0 with a sparkling 1.66 ERA and eight saves.
"I'm very excited," said Evans, who received the news prior to the Pheasants' Thursday night game against Winnipeg. "I've been working hard all year and trying to do my best. It's a validation, so it feels really good."
Evans said he expects to be evaluated in Dunedin, and he hopes he will be re-assigned to an even higher level.
"Cody has done a great job for us and throws the ball very well. He's earned the opportunity," said Shirley. "We are proud as an organization to be able to create opportunities for players to further their careers."
The Blue Jays will be Evans' fourth organization. In August 2011, he signed with the Los Angeles Angels for his second stint in affiliated ball. This spring, Evans was in minor-league spring training with the Texas Rangers. He was an Arizona Diamondbacks' 10th-round draft pick in 2005 out of Long Beach State University. He spent five years in their system, including four games with Triple-A Tucson in 2008.
"One of the reason players come in and play independent baseball in Sioux Falls is we have a history of being able to move guys to organizations at certain times. We are nothing but proud to be able to do that," Shirley said. "I look forward to watching Cody on TV."
Evans joins Eddy Rodriguez as the two former Pheasants currently active in affiliated baseball. Rodriguez plays with the Lake Elsinore Storm, the advanced-A affiliate of the San Diego Padres.
Information about individual tickets and group outings with the Sioux Falls Pheasants is available by calling (605) 336-6060 or visiting www.sfpheasants.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 20, 2012
- American Association Results - AA
- Sheldon Strong, 'Dogs Win Nail Biter on Play at Plate - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Diablos Rally In Ninth Falls Short - El Paso Diablos
- Garceau Stymies Grand Prairie - Kansas City T-Bones
- T-Bones Snap One AirHogs Streak, Extend Another - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Sox Even Out the Series - Laredo Lemurs
- Wingnuts Fall to RedHawks - Wichita Wingnuts
- Two Homers Power Pheasants over Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Tsamis Wins 500th as Saints Manager with Team's Sixth Straight, 7-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Fish Clipped by Pheasants, Series Even - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Game Postponed; Doubleheader Saturday - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Diablos Announce July 20-22 Promotions - El Paso Diablos
- Saltdogs Enjoy Encouraging Lincoln Kids to Read - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Matt Nevarez Purchased by Rays - Wichita Wingnuts
- Blue Jays Sign Pheasants Closer Evans - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pheasants Lose Late Lead to Winnipeg - Sioux Falls Canaries
- RedHawks Power Past Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.