Saltdogs' Brown Acquired by Phillies Organization
LINCOLN, NE - The Lincoln Saltdogs announced on Friday that the contract of right-handed pitcher Tim Brown has been purchased by the Philadelphia Phillies organization. This marks the 26th time in team history that a Saltdogs player has been acquired by a major league organization, and the second in the span of one week.
Brown, who was in the midst of his first full season in the Lincoln rotation, is 7-5 on the year with a 4.52 ERA. His last start for the Saltdogs was a successful one, pitching 7.2 innings in a win at Wichita on Wednesday. Brown is second in the American Association with 13 starts, and fifth in the league in innings pitched with 77.2.
"Tim has been the consummate professional since day one," said Saltdogs manager Marty Scott. "His work ethic is unsurpassed, and he's been a mainstay in our rotation. He gave us a big boost when he arrived last season and he's been a steady performer all this year. We'll miss having him pitch every fifth day, but I'm excited to see him get an opportunity with an organization."
Brown joined the Saltdogs in June of 2009 after completing his college career at Pittsburg State. He was an instant success for the Saltdogs, going 5-1 on the year, including 4-0 as a starter, and helping Lincoln win its first championship. At the end of the 2009 campaign, Brown was named the fifth-best prospect in independent baseball by Baseball America.
Brown is the third former Saltdogs player to join an organization in 2010. Shawn McGill was acquired by the Atlanta Braves organization last week, and Josh Burrus was acquired by the Detroit Tigers organization in January.
For more team and ticket information, go to www.saltdogs.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 16, 2010
- American Association Recap - AA
- Pheasants rout Wichita for 11-5 win - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Salt Dogs cruise in series opener - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Pheasants' Big Innings Sink Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saltdogs' Brown Acquired by Phillies Organization - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Saints to Fly Unclassified Mission for Kids - St. Paul Saints
- Twin Cities All-Star Team Selected For Saints International Baseball Showcase - St. Paul Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lincoln Saltdogs Stories
- Saltdogs Sign Three More Players, Including Former Husker Hohensee
- Saltdogs Add Pitcher, Catcher to Roster
- Saltdogs Hire Michael Dixon as Director of Broadcasting
- Former Saltdog Flores Gets Double-A Coaching Job
- Saltdogs Pick Premier as Next Food Service Provider