Saltdogs Add Bellevue University Product Joe Moran, Herron Claimed off Waivers
LINCOLN, NE - The Lincoln Saltdogs announced today they signed rookie outfielder Joe Moran. The Saltdogs placed right-handed pitcher Tyler Herron on waivers and the Winnipeg Goldeyes claimed him.
Moran impressed in spring training this year but suffered an injury just before Opening Day, which resulted in his release. He provided a boost of speed to the lineup and smacked three doubles in the exhibition season opener against the Sioux City Explorers.
The lefty enjoyed an outstanding career at NAIA Bellevue University. Over two seasons with the Bruins, he hit a combined .384 with eight home runs and 60 RBIs over 104 games. The outfielder stole 24 bases and managed nine triples in his two seasons. He was first-team OWH All-Nebraska his junior season.
Moran is the third Bellevue player to suit up for Lincoln this season and the fifth in the last two seasons. He joins fellow Bruins alum Kyle Kinman on the roster.
Before going to Bellevue, Moran played two seasons at Western Nebraska Community College. He was an All-Region pick both years. He played for his dad, Mark, at Scottsbluff High School.
Herron was inconsistent over 12 appearances for the Saltdogs. The former first round pick was 4-5 with a 7.33 ERA over a team-high 66.1 innings pitched. The righty is fourth in the league in innings pitched and fourth in the league in strikeouts with 61 punchouts. He earned the win in three consecutive games from May 23-31st but lost three straight starts to end his Saltdogs tenure.
Herron is one of the best pitchers in Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks history. He spent parts of four seasons in North Dakota and was 9-3 with a 2.92 ERA in 2017. He joins the Goldeyes who are 22-29 and in fourth place in the American Association North Division.
The Saltdogs (27-23) finish off a three game series with the Kansas City T-Bones on Wednesday night at Haymarket Park. First pitch is at 6:45 PM with coverage beginning at 6:35 PM on ESPN 101.5 FM 1480 AM and saltdogs.com/stream.
For more information on the Saltdogs, follow the team on Facebook and Twitter/Instagram @saltdogsball. For ticket information visit https://saltdogs.com/tickets/ or call (402) 474-2255.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 11, 2018
- Lambson Stymies Canaries, Birds Fall to Goldeyes - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fabio's Walk-Off Fielder's Choice Gives Gary 3-2 Win over Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Throws Two-Hit Shutout over Canaries - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Add Bellevue University Product Joe Moran, Herron Claimed off Waivers - Lincoln Saltdogs
- We're Going Streakin: Saints Win Third Straight, Sweep Railroaders 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Swept in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Bats Quieted in Rubber Match Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Six-Run Ninth Downs Wingnuts in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Dogs Hold on to Knot up Series with X's - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.