Six-Run Ninth Downs Wingnuts in Finale
WICHITA, Kan. - The Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks scored six runs in the top of the ninth inning to rally past the Wichita Wingnuts 8-5 on Wednesday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The Wingnuts (30-20) entered the ninth inning leading 5-2, and handed the baseball off to closer Daniel Tillman (1-3) for the save opportunity. Keury De La Cruz trimmed the lead to 5-4 with a two-run homer, then Fargo-Moorhead (27-23) put two on with two out for Brennan Metzger. With the count 0-2, Metzger lofted a pop up to shallow right field that Logan Watkins lost in the sun, dropping for an RBI single that tied the game at 5-5. Devan Ahart followed with an RBI single to put the RedHawks in front, then Charlie Valerio blew the game open with a two-run double for the game's final margin.
Reese Gregory (3-2) picked up the win by tossing three scoreless innings in relief for the second consecutive day.
After Fargo-Moorhead scored a run in the top of the first, Wichita struck back for three in the bottom of the inning against RedHawks starter Sebastian Kessay. Logan Trowbridge walked with the bases loaded, Ryne Willard hit a sacrifice fly, then Hunter Clanin lined an RBI single for a 3-1 Wichita lead.
The script repeated in the fifth, as the RedHawks grabbed a run on Yhoxian Medina's RBI double before the Wingnuts answered with a crooked number in the bottom of the inning. Nick Rotola pounded an RBI ground-rule double to center and Logan Watkins plated another with an infield single. Watkins finished the game 4-for-5 for Wichita, his third four-hit game of the season.
Seth Harvey pitched well in relief for the Wingnuts, tossing two scoreless innings. Geoff Broussard recorded the save for Fargo-Moorhead with a shutout frame in the bottom of the ninth.
The Wingnuts welcome in the Texas AirHogs for a four-game series on Thursday. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 11, 2018
- Lambson Stymies Canaries, Birds Fall to Goldeyes - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fabio's Walk-Off Fielder's Choice Gives Gary 3-2 Win over Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Throws Two-Hit Shutout over Canaries - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Add Bellevue University Product Joe Moran, Herron Claimed off Waivers - Lincoln Saltdogs
- We're Going Streakin: Saints Win Third Straight, Sweep Railroaders 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Swept in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Bats Quieted in Rubber Match Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Six-Run Ninth Downs Wingnuts in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Dogs Hold on to Knot up Series with X's - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.