Lambson Stymies Canaries, Birds Fall to Goldeyes
Mitchell Lambson's two-hit shutout was the difference at Shaw Park on Wednesday, as the Winnipeg Goldeyes took game three of their series with the Sioux Falls Canaries 4-0.
The highlight of the night for the Birds came on defense, when left-fielder Mike Hart laid out for an impressive diving catch in foul territory.
The Birds' offense couldn't muster as many big moments. Sioux Falls managed just three baserunners in the game. Former Goldeye David Bergin was the only Sioux Falls batter to reach base twice, via a walk and a single.
Lambson struck out six and walked one over his nine innings of work. It was his first complete game since he was a freshman at Arizona State in 2009.
Canaries starter Dylan Thompson wasn't as sharp, allowing an RBI single to Josh Romanski in the bottom of the first. The right-hander worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the second to keep Winnipeg's lead at 1-0.
The Goldeyes struck again in the fifth. Reggie Abercrombie made it 2-0 Fish with and RBI single, and Grant Heyman drove in a run with a fielders' choice one batter later.
Josh Mazzola drove in the Goldeyes' fourth run with a single, making it 4-0 Winnipeg after five.
Bo Hellquist pitched the last three innings for Sioux Falls without allowing a run. He allowed two hits, walking three and striking out one.
The Birds will look to salvage a split against the Goldeyes Thursday at 7 p.m. John Straka will make his first start as a Canary. Winnipeg has not named a starter. Birds fans can tune in on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 981. FM and AM 1230 KWSN, or online at kwsn.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 11, 2018
- Lambson Stymies Canaries, Birds Fall to Goldeyes - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fabio's Walk-Off Fielder's Choice Gives Gary 3-2 Win over Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Throws Two-Hit Shutout over Canaries - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Add Bellevue University Product Joe Moran, Herron Claimed off Waivers - Lincoln Saltdogs
- We're Going Streakin: Saints Win Third Straight, Sweep Railroaders 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Swept in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Bats Quieted in Rubber Match Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Six-Run Ninth Downs Wingnuts in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Dogs Hold on to Knot up Series with X's - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.