Lambson Throws Two-Hit Shutout over Canaries
WINNIPEG, MB - The Winnipeg Goldeyes (23-29) beat the Sioux Falls Canaries 4-0 at Shaw Park on Wednesday night.
Goldeyes' starting pitcher Mitchell Lambson (3-2) threw a complete game, two-hit shutout. Lambson walked one, struck out six, and finished nine innings on just 93 pitches. Lambson faced one batter over the minimum 27, and had faced the minimum through his first seven innings.
"After yesterday's game, I knew I had to get some quick outs early and give our offence a chance to score," said Lambson. Yesterday was a tough game for us, and we knew it was going to be a tough game against Sioux Falls, so we came out swinging."
It was the Goldeyes' first shutout of the season, and the first nine-inning complete game by a Goldeyes' starter since July 2nd, 2017. It was also Lambson's first career complete game. Prior to this season, Lambson had made one start during his first seven years of professional baseball.
"It's a lot of fun," Lambson said on starting full time. "It's a new challenge and a lot different, but I've enjoyed it a lot."
The Goldeyes took an early 1-0 lead in the first. Tucker Nathans led off with a double to right-centre. After Matt McCann sacrificed Nathans to third, Josh Romanski ripped a line drive single to right.
In the bottom of the fifth, Nathans singled to right leading off and took second on a hit-and-run groundball from McCann. Romanski singled Nathans to third, and Reggie Abercrombie made it 2-0 with an RBI single through the left side. With runners on first and third, Grant Heyman plated Romanski on a fielder's choice. After Dave Sappelt walked, Josh Mazzola hit a two-out, RBI single down the left field line that scored Heyman.
Dylan Thompson (4-4) started for the Canaries (20-29) and took the loss, allowing four earned runs on eight hits in five innings. Thompson walked four and struck out four.
The four-game series concludes Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. The Goldeyes have not yet announced their starting pitcher. Right-hander Dylan Thompson (4-3, 4.07) pitches for Sioux Falls. Tickets for all Goldeyes' home games are on sale now by visiting www.ticketmaster.ca/Goldeyes, or visiting any Ticketmaster location, including the box office at Shaw Park.
For information regarding Winnipeg Goldeyes' season tickets, 10-game mini packs, and group outings, call the Goldeyes' office at (204) 982-BASE, or visit the Goldeyes' official website at www.goldeyes.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 11, 2018
- Lambson Stymies Canaries, Birds Fall to Goldeyes - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fabio's Walk-Off Fielder's Choice Gives Gary 3-2 Win over Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Throws Two-Hit Shutout over Canaries - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Add Bellevue University Product Joe Moran, Herron Claimed off Waivers - Lincoln Saltdogs
- We're Going Streakin: Saints Win Third Straight, Sweep Railroaders 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Swept in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Bats Quieted in Rubber Match Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Six-Run Ninth Downs Wingnuts in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Dogs Hold on to Knot up Series with X's - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.