Fabio's Walk-Off Fielder's Choice Gives Gary 3-2 Win over Texas
Gary, Ind. - Cole Fabio's walk-off fielder's choice in the bottom of the ninth gave the Gary SouthShore RailCats a 3-2 come-from-behind win over the Texas AirHogs on Wednesday night in front of 3,904 at U.S. Steel Yard. Wednesday's walk-off win was the RailCats third walk-off victory of the year and prevented Gary from being swept for the second time this season.
Wilfredo Gimenez blasted a double off the top of the left field wall to begin the bottom of the ninth before being pinch-run for by Garrett Copeland. Reggie Wilson was then intentionally walked, giving the 'Cats runners on first and second. Will Savage followed with a sacrifice bunt, advancing both baserunners in to scoring position. Fabio then hit the 1-1 pitch sharply on the ground to AirHogs second baseman Du Xiaolei, however, Copeland slid into home safely, just beating the throw from Xiaolei to give the RailCats their first win of the year against Texas.
After coming from behind in the first two games of the series, Texas (14-35) jumped out to a 2-0 lead courtesy of Chen Junpeng's two-out, two-run single down the right field in the first. Lew Zhenhong reached on a fielder's choice before Dillon Thomas drew a four-pitch walk. Correlle Prime followed with a single to left, however, Zhenhong was tagged out in a rundown between third and home for the second out of the inning. Junpeng followed with a two-run single in his first at-bat of the series.
Gary (25-25) tied the game at 2-2 in the fifth on Savage's two-run homer to left. The homer was Savage's first at the Independent Professional level and the second of his pro career. Wilson led off the inning with a double down the left field line before Savage followed with his two-run blast.
Myles Smith (1-1) struck out a pair in a scoreless top of the ninth to record his first win of the year while Yang Yanyong (0-3) was charged with the loss after allowing the walk-off run in the bottom of the ninth. Christian Herstine struck out two in a scoreless top of the eighth and has yet to allow a run over 2.2 innings of relief.
Alex Gunn recorded a no-decision after being activated from the 7-day disabled list before Wednesday's game. The southpaw retired the final 14 batters he faced and allowed just two runs on five hits, a walk and struck out five over seven innings.
Gary is idle on Thursday before beginning a six-game, seven-day road trip on Friday at 7 p.m. against the Winnipeg Goldeyes in Canada. RHP Gabe Perez (1-0, 4.24) makes his third start for the RailCats while the back-to-back American Association Champions have yet to announce their series opener starter.
Gary returns home to U.S. Steel Yard on Friday, July 20th vs. the St. Paul Saints. Friday's game is Kevin "Bacon" Night and includes bacon-themed concession specials, as well as another Fifth Third Bank Fireworks Friday.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 11, 2018
- Lambson Stymies Canaries, Birds Fall to Goldeyes - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fabio's Walk-Off Fielder's Choice Gives Gary 3-2 Win over Texas - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Lambson Throws Two-Hit Shutout over Canaries - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saltdogs Add Bellevue University Product Joe Moran, Herron Claimed off Waivers - Lincoln Saltdogs
- We're Going Streakin: Saints Win Third Straight, Sweep Railroaders 10-3 - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Swept in St. Paul - Cleburne Railroaders
- Dogs Bats Quieted in Rubber Match Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Six-Run Ninth Downs Wingnuts in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Dogs Hold on to Knot up Series with X's - Chicago Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- Calendar Overloaded with Fantastic Family Fun, Food, and Fireworks
- Gary Southshore RailCats Announce 2019 Open Tryout Camp
- Spring into Spring with Special Five Hour Free Suite Special
- Pop Up Bar Wednesdays to Feature Pop Culture Themes at All New "Creekside Bar"
- RailCats Sign Outfielder Boxwell