Royals Tripped up by Blazers
Langley, BC - The Victoria Royals scored four goals in the third period in a 6-4 loss to the Kamloops Blazers on Saturday morning, in their second game of the Vancouver Giants Pre-Season Tournament at the Langley Events Centre.
Gamesheet -. bit.ly/2kxKrUs.
Royals - River Fahey 2g-0a, Riley Gannon 1g-1a, Tarun Fizer 1g-0a, Sean Gulka 0g-1a, Keanu Derungs 0g-1a, Nolan Bentham 0g-1a, Graeme Bryks 0g-1a.
Kamloops - Brodi Stuart 1g-1a, Inaki Baragano 1g-1a, Luke Zazula 0g-2a, Connor Zary 1g-0a, Riley Ginnell 1g-0a, Jerzy Orchard 1g-0a, Reese Belton 1g-0a, Caedan Bankier 0g-1a, Matthew Seminoff 0g-1a, Trevor Thurston 0g-1a, Daylan Kuefler 0g-1a.
Royals - Brock Gould (L) - 40:00 mins, 25 saves on 31 shots.
Connor Martin - 20:00 mins, stopped all 12 shots he faced.
Kamloops - Dylan Garand (W) - 60:00 mins, 28 saves on 32 shots.
Royals - 1/4=25.0%
Kamloops - 0/2=0.0%
Line-ups: The Royals once again went with a mixture of youth and experience in their line-up as they dressed eight rookies and 12 veterans. Kamloops' roster consisted of eight veterans and 12 rookies.
Scratches: Victoria sat out 20-year-olds Shane Farkas, Will Warm and Gary Haden, along with veterans Matthew Smith, Carson Miller, Phillip Schultz and Kaid Oliver. They also scratched rookies Alex Bolshakov, Matthew Hodson and Keegan Maddocks.
Island Connection: On the Royals' third goal of the game, all three players who contributed to the tally hail from Vancouver Island. River Fahey (Campbell River) scored the goal, while the assists went to Riley Gannon (Nanaimo) and Nolan Bentham (Victoria). Fahey's goal was scored on the Blazers' Dylan Garand, who is from Victoria.
2019 Pre-Season Schedule:
Sunday, September 8th vs. Everett Silvertips - 1:00 p.m. - Langley Events Centre - Langley, BC
Season Opener: The Royals will open their ninth WHL season on the road in Everett against the Silvertips on Saturday, September 21st. Victoria's Home Opener is set for Friday, September 27th versus the Prince George Cougars. Puck drop for the home opener is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 7, 2019
- Edmonton Tops Hitmen 6-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Medicine Hat Takes Narrow Pre-Season Win over Pats - Regina Pats
- Karki Leads Tips to 1-0 Win - Everett Silvertips
- Hawks Drop Preseason Finale - Portland Winterhawks
- T-Birds Fly Past Winterhawks in Preseason Game - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rockets fall to Silvertips in Langley - Kelowna Rockets
- Royals Tripped up by Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Six Hurricanes Headed to NHL Camps - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Blades Hold on for Win in Warman - Saskatoon Blades
- Wag-A-Tail Walkathon Set for Sunday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Open Pre-Season with Win - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Winnipeg ICE Host Wheat Kings in Saturday Showdown in Portage - Winnipeg Ice
- Nielsen's Hat-Trick Leads G-Men over the Royals - Vancouver Giants
- Penalty Trouble Dooms Ams in 6-1 Loss to Thunderbirds - Tri-City Americans
- Tarzwell Tallies Twice to Lead Rebels Past Hurricanes - Red Deer Rebels
- Royals Come up Short against Giants - Victoria Royals
- Mount Hat Trick Pushes T-Birds Past Americans - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Wheat Kings Blank ICE 5-0 in Pre-Season Opener - Winnipeg Ice
- Raiders' Comeback Bid Falls Short in Warman - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Fall in Pre-Season Opener - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.