Royals Sneak Past Nailers in Overtime
WHEELING, WV - The Wheeling Nailers earned at least one point for the seventh consecutive home game on Friday night, as they clashed with the Reading Royals at WesBanco Arena. Reid Gardiner scored the lone goal of regulation for the Nailers, who ended up falling 2-1 in overtime, as Michael Huntebrinker snapped the deadlock 28 seconds into the extra session. John Muse and Adam Morrison combined to make 63 saves on 66 shots in a tremendous goaltending battle.
The Royals netted the lone goal of the first period, as they found the back of the net just 1:20 into the contest. Nolan Zajac sprayed the puck along the left wall and back to Adam Schmidt, who stretched out to keep the play alive at the blueline. Schmidt proceeded to let a wrist shot go, finding the twine along the ice.
With 6:58 left in the middle frame, the Nailers evened things up. Jeff Taylor sent the puck to the front of the cage, where Cody Wydo crashed in, looking to knock in the loose puck. The play ended up finding its way out to the right circle, where a shot was whipped in by Reid Gardiner for his team-leading 24th goal of the campaign.
Both teams played excellent games defensively, and that was highlighted in the third period, as neither side was able to score on 24 total shots, sending the contest into overtime.
The extra session lasted for only 28 seconds. James de Haas led a rush for Reading along with Matt Willows, who waited for Michael Huntebrinker to join them. Huntebrinker took a drop pass in the slot, and threaded the needle for the winning tally and a 2-1 decision in favor of the Royals.
John Muse earned the victory in goal for Reading, blocking away 36 of the 37 shots he faced. Adam Morrison suffered the overtime defeat for Wheeling, making 27 saves on 29 shots.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2018
- Admirals Take on Glads Searching for Fourth Straight Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Big First Period Propels Colorado to 5-3 Win over Steelheads - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Utah Scores on 3 of 6 Power Plays in Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- JENYS AND LANG POWER RUSH TO WIN - Rapid City Rush
- RYAN RUPERT'S OVERTIME WINNER CAPS FUEL COMEBACK IN CINCINNATI - Indy Fuel
- Third Period Sends Wichita to Win in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Six Unanswered Fuel Admirals Comeback Victory over Atlanta - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Recap: WINGS DOMINATE THIRD PERIOD, SNAP KOMETS' STREAK - Kalamazoo Wings
- SOLAR BEARS FALL TO STINGRAYS IN 3-1 DECISION - Orlando Solar Bears
- Late Surge Dooms 'Blades in 5-4 Shootout Loss - Florida Everblades
- Railers Offense Shines in 5-2 Home Victory over the Mallards - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale Stands Tall But Beast Fall in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Royals Sneak Past Nailers in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Mallards Drop Weekend Opener in Worcester - Quad City Mallards
- Forward J.C. Beaudin Reassigned to Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- TOMMY OLCZYK RETURNS TO FUEL - IceHogs reassign forward to Indy - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Prepares for Two Games vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers vs. Royals - Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- LARRY McQUEARY PROMOTED TO INDY FUEL PRESIDENT & COO - Indy Fuel
- CAITO AND JENYS RETURN FROM IOWA - Rapid City Rush
- GAME DAY: Three-In-Three Weekend Opens in Atlanta - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.