Third Period Sends Wichita to Win in Allen
Allen, TX - Tyler VanKleef scored four minutes into the third period to break a scoreless tie and helped Wichita to a 3-0 win past Allen on Friday night at the Allen Event Center.
Nick Latta and Kyle Platzer provided the rest of the offense while Shane Starrett stopped all 33 shots he faced to earn his first shutout as a pro.
After two scoreless periods, VanKleef scored his first ECHL goal to give Wichita a 1-0 lead. He slipped a shot from behind the net through Jeremy Brodeur at the left post. Allen turned up the pressure after the goal, outshooting the Thunder 11-4 at one point.
With two minutes left in the game, Brodeur was pulled for an extra attacker. Platzer caught a long-lead pass and found an empty net to make it 2-0. Latta increased the lead to 3-0 with a power play goal at 19:41 after Vincent Arseneau and Dalton Thrower were sent off for minor penalties. He fired a one-timer past Brodeur from the slot for his first goal in a Thunder uniform.
Starrett's shutout is the first of the season for a Thunder netminder. Mark MacMillan and Marc-Olivier Crevier-Morin each had a pair of assists.
Wichita went 1-for-6 on the power play. Allen was 0-for-3 on the man advantage.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 27, 2018
- Admirals Take on Glads Searching for Fourth Straight Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Big First Period Propels Colorado to 5-3 Win over Steelheads - Colorado Eagles
- GAME REPORT: Utah Scores on 3 of 6 Power Plays in Win over Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- JENYS AND LANG POWER RUSH TO WIN - Rapid City Rush
- RYAN RUPERT'S OVERTIME WINNER CAPS FUEL COMEBACK IN CINCINNATI - Indy Fuel
- Third Period Sends Wichita to Win in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Six Unanswered Fuel Admirals Comeback Victory over Atlanta - Norfolk Admirals
- Game Recap: WINGS DOMINATE THIRD PERIOD, SNAP KOMETS' STREAK - Kalamazoo Wings
- SOLAR BEARS FALL TO STINGRAYS IN 3-1 DECISION - Orlando Solar Bears
- Late Surge Dooms 'Blades in 5-4 Shootout Loss - Florida Everblades
- Railers Offense Shines in 5-2 Home Victory over the Mallards - Worcester Railers HC
- Fucale Stands Tall But Beast Fall in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Royals Sneak Past Nailers in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Mallards Drop Weekend Opener in Worcester - Quad City Mallards
- Forward J.C. Beaudin Reassigned to Colorado - Colorado Eagles
- TOMMY OLCZYK RETURNS TO FUEL - IceHogs reassign forward to Indy - Indy Fuel
- Thunder Prepares for Two Games vs. Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Nailers vs. Royals - Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- LARRY McQUEARY PROMOTED TO INDY FUEL PRESIDENT & COO - Indy Fuel
- CAITO AND JENYS RETURN FROM IOWA - Rapid City Rush
- GAME DAY: Three-In-Three Weekend Opens in Atlanta - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.