Royals' Four-Game Home Stand Starts this Weekend
Quote of the Week
Assistant Coach Pat Wellar on Royals retiring Yannick Tifu's #10 to the Diamond Credit Union Wall of Honor
"One takeaway I'll always have from Yannick is his passion to win was what fueled us. He was extremely high talented. He cares about people and was extremely devoted to the Reading community when he was here. We knew we had a chance to do something special in 2013."
Reading, PA - Coming off another week without a regulation loss, the Reading Royals (34-21-8-0, 76 pts., 3rd North), proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers, prepare for seven straight games against North Division opponents that begins Wednesday at first-place Manchester. Reading is also home at Santander Arena Friday and Saturday vs. Worcester at 7:00 p.m.
Reading went 1-0-1-0 against Fort Wayne and Brampton last week. The Royals came from behind in each to secure a point. Anthony Stolarz started both games for Reading and remains on the team's roster. He has played in 107 games for Lehigh Valley and seven for the Flyers. Additionally, Steven Swavely has been returned on loan to Reading.
This week features Special Olympics Night and Autism Awareness Night on Friday and Saturday vs. Worcester at 7:00 p.m. from Santander Arena.
Here's what you need to know:
Special Olympics Night Fri., Mar. 23 vs. WOR at 7:00 p.m.
1) Royals trading card set giveaway to the first 2,500 fans (Rieck's Printing).
2) Tickets are available here
3) Come to the ice after the game for a BEACH PARTY!!! We call it the postgame shake, shiver and freeze with the Royals to raise money for the Special Olympics.
Autism Awareness Night Sat., Mar. 24 vs. WOR at 7:00 p.m.
1) A one-time-only giveaway: a puck with Head Coach Kirk MacDonald and Assistant Coach Pat Wellar to commemorate the 5th anniversary of Reading winning the Kelly Cup.
2) To support the Autism Society of Berks County and Unending Promise, we're wearing special Autism Awareness jerseys that will be auctioned off at https://one.bidpal.net/goroyals.
3) Tickets are available here.
Royals Awards Banquet at Santander Arena Mar. 26
Register here. Get a pregame pep talk from Royals Head Coach Kirk MacDonald, behind-the-scenes tour of the Royals locker room and buffet meal at Santander Arena Mon., Mar. 26 from 6-8 p.m. for the Royals Awards Banquet. We will hand out the best awards from the 2017-18 season.
Big 3 Storylines
3) Stolie the Goalie
Anthony Stolarz showed off his high-end skill set with 31 saves on 32 shots during Saturday's win over Brampton. The 6-foot-6, 232-lb. native of Jackson, NJ denied a few breakaway saves in the second period, allowing the Royals to push to a three-goal lead.
He joined Reading midway through last week as part of a recovery from an offseason injury.
2) Division fun
Reading boasts a 28-18-4-0 mark against the North Division and is the only team 10 games above .500 vs. the North. No other team in the North has more than 24 division wins. Seven of Reading's final nine games are against the North Division.
The Royals are .500 or better against every team in the North this season.
Adirondack: 7-5-1-0 (1 game left)
Brampton: 5-4-0-0 (series finished)
Manchester: 3-3-0-0 (3 games left)
Wheeling: 7-2-2-0 (series finished)
Worcester: 6-4-1-0 (3 games left)
1) Milestone hitters
The Royals had two players hit milestones this weekend, as Chris McCarthy helped for his 100th career assist and Nolan Zajac hit 100 career points.
Still to come, Matt Willows is two points away from 200 in his career and Matt Wilkins has played in 98 career games.
Team Leaders (Active players)
Goals: Matt Willows (28), Michael Huntebrinker/Chris McCarthy (18)
Assists: Matt Willows (38), Chris McCarthy (30), Nolan Zajac (26)
Points: Matt Willows (66), Chris McCarthy (48), Nolan Zajac (41)
PIMs: Ryan Penny (51), Nick Luukko (50), Matt Willows (42)
+/-: Frank Hora (20), Matt Wilkins (12), Michael Huntebrinker/Brian Morgan (11)
Royals Radio Recon: Next Show Mon., Mar. 19
Live from Jimmy G's Railroad House from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Meet Royals defenseman Chase Golightly and Assistant Coach Pat Wellar at Jimmy G's Railroad House, 152 Woodrow Ave., Sinking Spring, PA. Listen on rumbareading.com and Rumba 1340 (iHeartRadio app).
Images from this story
Yannick Tifu, Pat Kelly, the Reading Royals and fans
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 19, 2018
- Whitney's Big Night Propels Stingrays Past Atlanta - South Carolina Stingrays
- Atlanta Manages Point in 3-2 Shootout Loss to Stingrays - Atlanta Gladiators
- Join Your Orlando Solar Bears at the 2018 Walk to Defeat ALS - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Weekly - Wichita Thunder
- Final Stretch Begins with Three-Game Stretch in Florida - Norfolk Admirals
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- ECHL Transactions - March 19 - ECHL
- Mallards Weekly Update - Quad City Mallards
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report - Wheeling Nailers
- McDonald Reassigned to Kansas City - Kansas City Mavericks
- Royals' Four-Game Home Stand Starts this Weekend - Reading Royals
- Sparks Returns from Providence - Atlanta Gladiators
- 18th Annual Wheelchair Hockey Game Set for March 31st - Wichita Thunder
- Steelheads Weekly Report - Idaho Steelheads
- Komets' Trip East Yields Three Points - Fort Wayne Komets
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop Weekly: Week 23 - Indy Fuel
- Mavs Monday - Kansas City Mavericks
- Stingrays Weekly Report - South Carolina Stingrays
- Tulsa Oilers Weekly Report - Tulsa Oilers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Americans Finish Road Trip 4-1-1, Lose in Overtime to Colorado - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.