Rox Walked Off, Drop Third Straight
Grand Junction's search for its first win of the 2019 season only yielded more late inning disappointment on Father's Day as a ninth inning walk-off home run forced the Rox into an 0-3 start at Lindquist Field.
After tacking on three runs in first four innings, the Rockies' offense went cold until the eighth when it received a boost from two players making their season debuts.
Newcomer Brenton Doyle led off the frame with his second single of the contest and would score on a Todd Isaacs RBI-double while Max George followed by mashing a game-tying two-run homer.
However, Rockies' reliever Cayden Hatcher surrendered the solo home run to Rolando Lebron in the bottom of the ninth and absorbed the loss.
Ogden reliever Reza Aleaziz's one-two-three top of the ninth set up the heroics and earned him the win after allowing one earned run with three strikeouts in 1.2 innings pitched.
The fourth and final game of the opening series is slated to feature Grand Junction's Mitchell Kilkenny and Ogden's Alfredo Tavarez as they make their first starts of the season.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chukars Outlast Mustangs in Extras for Series Sweep - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Rox Walked Off, Drop Third Straight - Grand Junction Rockies
- Missoula Pitching Stymies Voyagers - Great Falls Voyagers
- Jackson's Two Homers Not Enough in 13-10 Loss - Orem Owlz
- Osprey Blast Voyagers to Win Opening Series - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Extra Innings Goes Way of Idaho Falls to Complete Sweep - Billings Mustangs
- Rox Drop Sloppy Slugfest 12-11 - Grand Junction Rockies
- Late Rally Propels Raptors to Second Win - Ogden Raptors
- Owlz Sloppy in 11-7 Loss to Vibes - Orem Owlz
- Timely Hitting Vaults Voyagers to Victory - Great Falls Voyagers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.