Timely Hitting Vaults Voyagers to Victory
Great Falls, MT - A three-run fifth and rock-solid pitching guided the Voyagers to a 5-3 win over Missoula Saturday night at Centene Stadium.
Great Falls (1-1) gave up two early runs before matching Missoula in the bottom of the first with a two-run home run deep to right-center by Harvin Mendoza. Kelvin Maldonado reached ahead of Mendoza's homer with a one-out infield single. It was Mendoza's first dinger of the season. The Osprey (1-1) had started the scoring in the first with three straight hits. Jose Reyes doubled, Kevin Watson tripled, and Tristen Carranzo produced an RBI single for the 2-0 lead.
In the fifth, the Voyagers took the lead for good with a one-out RBI single lined into right by Camilo Quinteiro. Bryan Connell scored from second after he led off the inning with a base hit to right. Caberea Weaver then followed with a single to right. Harvin Mendoza loaded the bases with a hit-by-pitch. A two-out, two-run single to left from Lency Delgado made it 5-2. Missoula managed a run in the eighth to cap the scoring.
For a second consecutive night, the Great Falls pitching staff registered double-digit strikeouts with 13. The staff fanned 12 in the season opener. Carter Love posted the win with a five-inning start. Love (1-0) allowed two earned runs on six hits with four strikeouts and one walk. He set down nine straight at one point. Edgar Martinez took the loss for the Osprey. Martinez (0-1) lasted four-and-a-third and gave up four earned runs on six hits with four strikeouts and one walk. Nick Johnson notched his first save of the season as he struck out the side in the ninth. Nate Pawelczyk struck out the side in the seventh for the Voyagers as well.
Both teams recorded eight hits in the game. All but one of the nine Voyager batters collected a base hit. Kevin Watson went 2-for-3 with one RBI and two runs for the Osprey.
Great Falls closes out its season-opening weekend series with the rubber match against Missoula Sunday afternoon. First pitch at Centene Stadium is scheduled for 4 p.m. For season tickets and promotional information, call 406-452-5311 or visit www.gfvoyagers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from June 16, 2019
- Chukars Outlast Mustangs in Extras for Series Sweep - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Rox Walked Off, Drop Third Straight - Grand Junction Rockies
- Missoula Pitching Stymies Voyagers - Great Falls Voyagers
- Jackson's Two Homers Not Enough in 13-10 Loss - Orem Owlz
- Osprey Blast Voyagers to Win Opening Series - Missoula PaddleHeads
- Extra Innings Goes Way of Idaho Falls to Complete Sweep - Billings Mustangs
- Rox Drop Sloppy Slugfest 12-11 - Grand Junction Rockies
- Late Rally Propels Raptors to Second Win - Ogden Raptors
- Owlz Sloppy in 11-7 Loss to Vibes - Orem Owlz
- Timely Hitting Vaults Voyagers to Victory - Great Falls Voyagers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.